Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how long properly installed (on concrete with insulation & 2 inch screed ) underfloor hot water heating should take to heat up. Just a rough idea would be good, my B.I.L. has had it laid in an extension & teed into his existing system( radiators on a combi boiler ) but is not impressed with the length of time it takes to feel any benefit. Thanks

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by Tee'd in ?
Underfloor is much slower to react than radiators, and if the UFH circuit has just been Tee'd in the the flow and return then that's probably why it isn't working properly. It should be sized properly, and if the space is large enough split into circuits. Set Back controls also help by holding the floor at a low temp when there is no demand, so it gets to temperature quicker when there is. Really could use more details as to the setup, size of room, no of circuits, type of controls and manifold (if fitted), distance from manifold to room, how were the pipes laid ?

from what temperature to what temperature?

one install I did took 11 days on a whole house to raise from about 6c to 18c, but that was with a flow temperature capped at 25c..(polished concrete surfaces)

a screed drying programme on a boiler based controller will heat the slab to a maximum temperature in about 8 days...but it does this gradually..

with manual systems you should in crease the flow temp 5c per day from the minimum or there abouts....heating on 24/7 that could be three or four days...

Thanks , there are several ccts with proper manifold & a separate pump some sort of regulator, but it is basically connected to the flow & return of the existing system. He is not happy that after being on for several hours it is still relatively cool.

Sponsored Links
my underfloor takes about 2hrs to heat, it comes on at 8am, it then over runs the temp setting & stays hot all day
So its set for 16 @ 8am.
There are about 18/20 sq metres.
Hope that helps

it wont be heating from stone cold though... thats the point..and what floor covering does it have...

Thanks , there are several ccts with proper manifold & a separate pump some sort of regulator, but it is basically connected to the flow & return of the existing system. He is not happy that after being on for several hours it is still relatively cool.

Hows the system plumbed/wired ?, it should have a seperate valve for the UFH manifold, and setup so that the underfloor can fire the boiler independantly of the rads

Hows the system plumbed/wired ?, it should have a seperate valve for the UFH manifold, and setup so that the underfloor can fire the boiler independantly of the rads
Sorry it's taken a while to reply I've not been too well.
I think that is the problem, there is just a 15mm flow & return taken off the existing system at the nearest radiator to the extension entrance. It won't fire the boiler up independently, but his concern is that even when the whole system is switched on it takes too long to heat the extension. I wonder if his existing boiler is man enough for the job or mixing UFH & radiators is efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back