Underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We are in the process of having out extension done, which will include a new bathroom.

We would like to put in underfloor heating. but would like suggestions on whether to use electric or water system.

It won't be a vey large area, maybe only about 4 or 5 square metres.

So with this in mind would an electric system be ok?

Also could you suggest a cost effective brand with regards to running costs, etc?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Sponsored Links
So with this in mind would an electric system be ok?
Electric UFH is never ok. Unless it's left on 24/7, barely good enough to slightly warm the tiles half an hour after you finished your shower.

Also could you suggest a cost effective brand with regards to running costs, etc?
Doesn't matter - all electric UFH costs a fortune to run.

If you already have a wet system, extend it into the bathroom.
If not, then don't bother with UFH.

If you're going to have UFH then I suggest block/beam flooring upstairs and wet system. We did this and installed two circuits for the new down/upstairs rooms.

It was a lot of extra work (including fetching screed up stairs in buckets!) but worth it I think.

You can't hang towels on UFH!

I would go for one large or two medium towel rails with dual fuel or a dedicated circuit so they can warm/dry towels during the non-heating period. If sized correctly they should also keep the room warm enough.

If you want to take the "chill" off of cold floor tiles as you step out of the shower or use the toilet during the night, then an electric underfloor mat would be suitable with appropriate timer so that it is only 'warming' the floor for usage periods and fully off when not winter... That's how I did my downstairs shower room.

It's cheaper to install but more expensive to run than wet - so it's more suited to comfort for your feet than a primary heating source, which is not really required in a bathroom due to the small amount of time one (generally speaking) spends in there!

Sponsored Links
We do have a pretty large towel rail going in. think it's 1500 by 600, but wanted something to take the edge off the tiles.
How expensive is it to run an electric ufh system? like I said it'll be a pretty small area, maybe only 4 or 5 square metres. Surely it couldn't cost to much to have it on for 3 or 4 hours a day?
A wet system just seems like a lot more cost and work getting it installed, but also more risk if something goes wrong down the line, leaky pipes, etc.
Thanks for your replies

For a small area electric is far cheaper to install.

But I hope you have a good reason for wanting the underfloor.

Tony

Electricity costs about three times the cost of gas. You can assume about 100 Watts per square metre.

But most electric UFH only takes one hour to heat up compared with wet which can take two hours.

So there can be less hours of heating electric UFH if the times are closely controlled.

I would always advise rads rather than UFH for a small room.

UFH is fine for a large area which is occupied most of the time by homeworkers and the retired. But the long heat up time is annoying for irregular hours workers.

Tony

Last edited:
Like I said... Comfort for your feet.

Look at ScrewFix or Wickes for an idea of costs and it's a DIY job to lay the mat before your floor is tiled - just ensure you don't nick the cables with your tiling trowel!

If cold tiles on the floor are a problem then wear slippers!

In the shower?
I can't wear slippers - my dog thinks they're for her!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....I can't walk around the house in socks without her pulling them off..:)
Slippers don't last two minutes either..

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
But most electric UFH only takes one hour to heat up compared with wet which can take two hours.

Really. Take it you speak from experience Tony.

I evaluate the performance by questioning the users.

Been accused of being the Spanish Inquisition!

I evaluate the performance by questioning the users.

Been accused of being the Spanish Inquisition!
So you've got no actual experience when it comes to installing?.......experience being what you read on the internet coupled with user feed back?
Armchair installer...;)

I do not recommend electric underfloor in any normal situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back