Underfloor insulation - possible or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks!

I'm doing some renovation work for an old lady. She has a bungalow of single wall block on brick construction which has a dry-lining [ I'd say ].

The place is Bl**dy cold.

Her floor appears to be a concrete slab, over which a wooden [floor boards] is laid - nailed to joists rested somehow on the side walls and a 2 course brick pillar running central down the length of the bungalow. Some sort of 50's Norfolk construction.... [ You can always tell Norfolk when you see the electrics - *shudders* ]

Anyway..... I was wondering whether or not I could wop some insulation under the floorboards to reduce heat loss into that cavity to the concrete slab?? If so, any particular kind?

There are air-bricks around the outside to 'air' that cavity so I'd hate to cause a damp problem.....

Thanking you in advance!

Sponsored Links
hi,instead of going under the floorboards why not lay green felt underlay under any floating floor costs around £19 for almost 10sqmtrs at b+q and places alike.this acts as ansulation and soundproofing.

There's a thought.... Wonder how well that would work under carpet? Guess if I glue or tack it it should be ok...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back