laying a new floor in an existing garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a groundworks chap round recently to look at laying a new garage floor in my existing single garage. The garage is not attached to the house, is built of brick and I believe the walls are constructed on the floor slab. He has stihl sawed round the inside of the garage and removed the floor, back filled with hardcore and wacked it, ready for a dpm and 4 inches or so of concrete. The floor was originally a DIY job, a lean mix in his opinion. My concern is that the brick walls will now be sitting on a thin strip of concrete. Does this need tying into the new internal slab and how can this be none? I'd thought of drilling through the existing strip of concrete from the outside into the new slab and then putting chemically anchored rebars in it.

Sponsored Links
Have a dig around the outside and check the foundation depth.

If it is as you suspect you really are in a bit of bother. If the concrete is sub-standard then no amount of rebar is going to stop it settling and cracking.

You would be better off underpinning the wall, but if it's only single skin it will probably be easier/cheaper to knock it down and rebuild it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back