Garage Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 1950's detached single garage that I am looking to improve into a more usable workshop space. Repairs to the roof and window have resulted in a drier environment, my attention is now turned to the floor.

It is made up of a mixture of concrete and concrete slabs with no DPM below. This seems to suffer from a little condensation in winter and a gap between two of the slabs allows damp upwards in very poor weather. The biggest problem is the concreted areas are quite dusty.

My play is to lay a DPM over the existing floor and then install interlocking PVC floor tiles over the top. Does anyone see an issue with this plan?

The floor is mostly level, although my biggest concern is preventing the existing floor from breathing and causing more problems. There is a DPC in the single skin brickwork one course up, I guess the DPM would need to lap up this course of bricks?

In an ideal world I would rip the lot up and re-lay the slab however this would have to be a last resort being both time and cost prohibitive

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back