Underfloor Insulation: Small Gap Between Joist and Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is above an unheated storage area accessed from outside, presumably originally a coal shed. The bathroom has been rather cold and drafty during the winter, so I've pulled down the plasterboard ceiling in the shed and fitted 100mm Celotex between the floor joists.

Between the outermost joist and the external (cavity) wall is an annoyingly small gap, around 40mm wide (see attached photo). I've tried and failed to friction fit small blocks of Celotex due to the uneven wall, and can't accurately hold them in place to fit with a foam gun.

Should I persist with fitting Celotex somehow or would just using gun foam for the whole gap be appropriate? The gap runs vertically to the underside of the bathroom floorboards.

Attachments

• Wall Gap.jpg
    Wall Gap.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
Sounds like your problem is air tightness not insulation, as 40mm missing wouldn't make the whole room cold. As such I'd go for your idea of foaming the whole gap to stop the air. Make sure the air isn't bypassing the insulation elsewhere. If you know where the air barrier is then make sure the are no holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back