Underfloor mat heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed underfloor flexi mat heating system.before i lay the tiles i want to make sure the system works properly.the thermostat suggests it is i.e power, temp probe active however when i try and turn it on for 2 hours manual override nothing seems to happen, the temp doesn't rise.

system is from time guard i am been really thick?

any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
bluey66 said:
i am been really thick?
Well the early indications aren't good.

Are you saying that you've powered up the mat without it being covered?

If so, what do you expect the sensor to be measuring?

yes i have but i have ocvered part of the system and the probe with the tiles to test.!

That doesn't sound like a valid way of testing. What do the MIs have to say?

Sponsored Links
not exactly the clearest,it give the indicators on the controller which indicates that the system is powered up and the temp probe registering (currently 14.3)\i would have thought that there was a way to check the system actually heats up before you cover it.

thanks for the help

bluey66 said:
i would have thought that there was a way to check the system actually heats up before you cover it.
Well, do the MIs give a resistance that can measure? If so, and if it measures correctly, then why wouldn't it heat up?

it does give resistance measures guess i will have to get e spark in to check it for me.

thanks for the help, just a bit frustrating when i wanted to tile over it this weekend and try and finish the job off, the missus is getting on my back,still rather do the job right than rush it and regret it later.

bluey66 said:
it does give resistance measures guess i will have to get e spark in to check it for me.
That would be an expensive way of hiring a multimeter!

The normal way to test is to get a multimeter for a tenner and measure the resistance of the mat. It will match that given in the specs.

if the resistence of the mat measures that in the specs does that confirm that the system will work when covered just seems a bit silly that the only way you know the system actually works is when you have covered it witha £1000 worth of tiles!If so why wont it heat up before covered(probably seems a daft question)

bluey66 said:
if the resistence of the mat measures that in the specs does that confirm that the system will work when covered just seems a bit silly that the only way you know the system actually works is when you have covered it witha £1000 worth of tiles!If so why wont it heat up before covered(probably seems a daft question)

If you've just layed the tiles on top, there is no medium (adhesive) to store and transfer heat, so the probe might not be registering anything.

If there is a resistance (ie. its not an open circuit) then current will flow, and you can tile it. Multimeter will test this. less than a tenner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back