underground drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on checking my underground drainage, before i have a conservatory built over it , i find all the salt glaze has split, so i'm going to replace it with plastic 110mm.
Wastes into drains are x1 sink x1 dishwasher x1 washing machine.
By the bungalow i want to put a gulley trap. Do these have rodding points already in or will i have to buy these seperate ? the reason i ask is that the original drains are only 9" under the soil at this point.
Do i have to lay the new pipes on shingle or can i lay them in the original pipe trench on the soil ?
I then have a 6m straight run into a 90* bend, will i have to put a chamber or rodding point here ? at this point its only about 13" deep. from there its a 3 m straight run which goes into a newish plastic chamber
When the conservatory dwarf wall is being built will i have to put the pipe in a sleeve of some sort or will they put in a lintel over the pipe.?
Finally will any pipework need to concreted in place ?
sorry this is a bit long winded but i've had two quotes to do the job of a £1000 and thats with me digging up the concrete paths and old pipework, which i cant afford, hence why i need advice.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
There are lots of different gulleys, some with traps.
If it's buried I'd use 2 x 45 rather than 1 x 90º.
Lintel over the pipe.
Pipes supposed to be laid on pea shingle but most builders don't bother.

Others know more than me but they don't seem to be about...

you'll need to involve the building inspector of the local council for that drain work so you could ask him.

I would put a rodding access fitting separate to any gully at the start of the first run. At the 90 bend put in a shallow access chamber, plus a short pipe run rising up to the surface to a rodding point coming off the side of the access chamber opposite to the last run, so the chamber is acting like a T.

Sponsored Links
brumylad said:
you'll need to involve the building inspector of the local council for that drain work so you could ask him.

I would put a rodding access fitting separate to any gully at the start of the first run. At the 90 bend put in a shallow access chamber, plus a short pipe run rising up to the surface to a rodding point coming off the side of the access chamber opposite to the last run, so the chamber is acting like a T.

I was hoping you were'nt going to mention HIM... and the first run is only13" from the gulley to the first bend before the 6m straight run. This is because i only have a strip 3' from the bungalow by 13", (which will be paved after the conservatory is built)as i'm just replacing the original saltglaze pipes can i involve HIM... when they dig the footings out for the conservatory or do i have to have him check it first, cos he would'nt know its been changed, unless he reads this forum... ooops.
anyway thanks for what youve told me already

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back