New underground drainage for bathroom. Connection details

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lay a new drain around the back of our extension and then under a new slab in our bathroom (see pic). Couple of questions;

1) does the layout look right. I have put rodding points by the 2 main changes of direction (there is approx 10m between the two). should these be positioned to rod upstream as shown?
2) There are several connections needed in the bathroom. Toilet i guess is easy connected straight onto the 110mm pipe. How do i connect the basin, bath and shower onto the soil pipe? I dont want pipes running above ground so they need to be individual connections.
3) Dito for the kitchen sink but i guess this will be similar to above.
4) How do the pipes penetrate the DPM. What is the detail here to maintain its integrity.

Sponsored Links
How do i connect the basin, bath and shower onto the soil pipe?.....Ditto for the kitchen sink
Boss pipes or strap-on bosses:

CSBP32_wpdp.jpg
F22606_wpdp.jpg

Personally I would look at using small diameter inspection chambers on the changes of direction. This then gives you rodding access in either direction. Connections, probably better to bring the 110mm up through the slab, then fit a 110m adaptor at floor level to accept the waste pipes.

Thanks
Do the boss pipes have to be mounted vertically. What i ideally need to do is fit them horizontally underground especially with the bath and shower as i will not have the head room to bring the 110mm above ground.

Also, how do i seal the DPM around the pipe where the come through it?

Sponsored Links
I need to lay a new drain around the back of our extension and then under a new slab in our bathroom (see pic). Couple of questions;

1) does the layout look right. I have put rodding points by the 2 main changes of direction (there is approx 10m between the two). should these be positioned to rod upstream as shown?
2) There are several connections needed in the bathroom. Toilet i guess is easy connected straight onto the 110mm pipe. How do i connect the basin, bath and shower onto the soil pipe? I dont want pipes running above ground so they need to be individual connections.
3) Dito for the kitchen sink but i guess this will be similar to above.
4) How do the pipes penetrate the DPM. What is the detail here to maintain its integrity.

You need to vent the head of your drain mate with a Soil Vent Pipe(SVP).
The waste pipes from the Bath & Basin would then go into the vertical SVP. This is what's called a 'Single Soil Pipe Waste System', most homes in the UK now are built having Single Soil Pipe Waste Systems. The 'Golden Rule' for venting drains/systems is air behind water.
HTH

I have room for a vertial stack to may be installed above ground in what will be the airing cupboard adjacent the shower

Should i therefore branch off just before the shower and put an air admittance valve on this?

Does this have to be right at the end of the run like this, or could i branch off before the bath. this would help due to the limited fall i have available?

Also, can i use those boss connection horizontally so that the basin/bath/shower wastes go verticall straiht down into the soil pipe?

Thanks for that. I think i now know how to make each connection.

Does the vent need to be at the end of the run though or is Teeing off by the bath connection ok. This would leave around 2.5m to the toilet and another 2.5m to the shower.

Thanks for that. I think i now know how to make each connection.

Does the vent need to be at the end of the run though or is Teeing off by the bath connection ok. This would leave around 2.5m to the toilet and another 2.5m to the shower.

Remember the 'Golden Rule'!!

Some Plumbers' Golden Rules;
Hot on the left.
Sh.te goes downhill.
Hot water rises.
Air behind water.
It'll always take the path of least resistance.
Never work for friends, family, church or synagogue.
;)

What do you mean by air behind water?

Just what it says mate, you flush the bog, the soil pipe fills with water, so you need air behind that water.
You pull the wash basin plug, the waste pipe fills with water and if that waste pipe is too long or if there's no air behind that water, it'll start to draw air through the basin trap & the trap will not re-seal correctly.

You need a SVP at the head of the drain, you may also need a small Stub Stack for your Bath & Basin waste pipes.

I will try and modify my drawing later and repost to check i have got it right.
Thanks for all your help so far.

I will try and modify my drawing later and repost to check i have got it right.
Thanks for all your help so far.

My advice is never free mate, if it's been helpfull stick a tenner in a kids charity box. Thank you............. ;)

I'm very lucky I was born into a family with parents that cared & loved us & my kids(well, big kids) are healthy, happy & working. Other kids are not so lucky.............Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back