Connecting a bath to a new underground drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting new drains under my new bathroom and need to bring a feed up under the bath. Question is how do i connect a normal bath trap and waste pipe to the 110mm soil pipe?

Should i bring a 110mm pipe up through the floor and cap it a couple of inches above the floor and strap a boss to it? or is there some other way?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not a question of how you can do it buddy it's why are you doing it?

Have you got another stack external that this will connect into? Have you got a vent stack on any of your drainage system? If not then you need air admittance valves on your new stack which have to be higher than your appliances to stop the nasties coming out..

Maybe consider paying a plumber for his time :eek: Just because the shed sells pipe which says push fit on it doesnt mean thats the only consideration when fitting it..

Without sounding arrogant, we go to college for a few years to learn this stuff if it's was only just about pushing pipes together everyone would be a plumber

No, there is nothing at the moment. just a 110mm pipe coming into the room underground (see image)

The bath is the first thing to connect in, the 110mm will then run around the bathroom to the toilet, then basin, then shower and then vent

Sponsored Links
can't advise you on how to do it 100% but you only run the 110mm to a toilet and/or the vent

vent must be external and above any nearby opening in the building (i.e. a window) unless you use an air admitance valve, even then it should be well away (i.e. loft?)

strap on boss for the other drains

40 mm for bath,
think it's 40mm for shower
and 32mm for basin

Run the 110mm to required position, (best in a corner so vent section can be boxed in for aesthetics), fit a boss pipe at appropriate level to accept wastes, then Tee for W.C., before continuing upwards to vent.

I'd take the drain in a straight line from the entry point to appropriate position. You dont want any bends in the horizontal run under the floor, work wont comply with regs and could come back to haunt you if it blocks up.....

So i will run the 110mm in a straight line an come up for the WC.
Basin should be able to connect to this above ground.
Bath can T into this underground as can the shower
Should i be using black soile pipe for all this or the terracotta colour. I can only see the boss pipe connnectors in black but i thought these were used above ground?

Does the air admittance valve have to be at the end of the run eg after the toilet or can this be anwhere Ideally i would have
incoming sewer bracnching to air admittance, then branching to bath, shower, W.C and basin in that order

Underground drain (Terracotta colour stuff) will be fine. Above ground is used where the pipework is exposed to the elements as it better withstands the effects of UV in sunlight.

You may get away without an AAV, the drain is shallow enough to allow a direct connection from the W.C. to the drain. Is there a vent on the drain elsewhere on the property?

I'd ensure the below floor runs from the bath and shower are fitted with adequate access points, you dont want to be digging the floor up to clear out a clogged shower waste....

how do i connect the 40mm wastes to the terracotta stuff as i cant seem to find boss connectrors like the black stuff.

I'd see what is available at your supplier, various connectors available for waste pipe(s) to 110mm. Using a strap boss is an option, (using above ground stuff below ground isn't a problem) but I would be somewhat concerned about using rubber boss adaptors underfloor, the solvent welded type may be preferable to avoid any potential for leaks in the future. The plastic stuff is all compatible regardless of colour, terracotta proves cheaper as it doesnt have the UV protection the above ground stuff has.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back