Underground pipe insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

During the recent cold weather i noticed a line of thawed snow from the detached garage where the boiler is to the house. This is obviously where the pipes run and as they were installed by the previous owner i dont know at what depth they are and what insulation they have if any. The run is about 5 metres underground.

I'll have to dig a hole in order to find out but is this normal? To me it indicates the pipes are either too shallow or are inadequately insulated if at all, or both.

Is the correct depth for pipes 75cm?

I know special insulation is required underground where moisture is present such as armaflex tuffcoat or pre insulated pipes from ecoflex.

Do you think it is worth the expense of lowering them if they are too shallow and insulating properly? Insulating exsisting pipes looks to be more difficult as the insulation will have to be cut, pushed on the pipes and then sealed at every joint to prevent moisture getting in. The ecoflex pre-insulated pipes look good but they are plastic pipes and i dont know if the diameters match the copper pipes we have. Will it be possible to join the plastic pipes to copper and if the diameters are different will this cause problems for flow rates etc?

Many thanks, stu

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back