Underground services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning List -

I recently pulled out the hedge along the front of my property, bordering the pavement, to replace it with a fence.

Was digging down last week for some fence post holes, and found (barely below the surface) what I initially took to be the footings of an old wall (it's an old-ish property, approx 100 yrs).

This runs right along my property, under where the hedge was, and consists of (from top down)

:evil: 1 course of blue bricks
:evil: 1 course of ordinary house bricks
:evil: 1 bed of extremely hard concrete, which I can't get through !!!! It bent the chisel on my biggest SDS hammer drill.

Before I hire a serious Breaker from handihire or somewhere, I thought it prudent to check with the list - is it at all possible that what I have here is a protective covering over (eg) a water main, gas main, etc etc? :eek:

As far as I'm aware, such underground services are normally covered in pea shingle...but I'm not certain and I REALLY don't want to go at it hell for leather with a pneumatic monster that might not go slowly enough for me to check as I go.

Comments gratefully received - thanks all.

Sponsored Links
i have never seen pea shingle put down a hole before filling (you know the holes the utility companies dig)

could you not dig a hole next to it, go further down and slightly across to see what is under what you have found?

Cheers Breezer - good bit of lateral thinking (pardon the pun...). Can't believe I didn't think of that !! Did as you suggest and all is fine - job now done, thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back