Underlay, cloud 9 etc...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in for a carpet, I have looked around and cloud 9 gets the thumbs up no negative comments.
the underlay will be on concrete, my rooms are 4.2m x 7.2m exactly

which thickness should i go for, would 2 rolls be enough?

ps
the 4.2 width is in one room as the carpet goes under the stairs, the other room 3.5m wide for about 3.5m long.

Also would a cheap carpet be ok since I have the best underlay?

looking at between £8 and £15 sm for the carpet

Sponsored Links
if i recall correctly (i am looking to get cloud 9 also) you dont want the thickest stuff in the living room. while it'll feel soft the carpet will wear faster because it moves more. I'll probably be going for the medium in the livingroom/hall/stairs/landing and then the thick stuff for the bedrooms.

those measurements add up to 30.24m2

PU underlay usually comes in 15m2 bags so 2 bags should be ok Given that your room is not totally square

9mm thickness is a good all rounder

BUT....

it is utter rubbish that a good underlay will "improve" a cheap carpet

You get what you pay for

We seen a carpet but im a bit dubious the bloke wasn't ripping us off, I mentioned cloud 9 to the shop owner and he said he can do that for £9psm, thats £135 a roll, you can buy it on the net for £40-45.

my missus liked a carpet called coleraine, i done a search on the net but couldn't find that make on-line, its a 100% polypropylene Saxony carpet and he wanted £18.99 inl fitting, it comes with a 7 yr guarantee.

any ideas were i could find good carpets suppliers on the net.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Guys,

what hypergo 9mm undelay like, bloke in the carpet shop reckons better than cloud 9 9mm

again no simple answer...

Firstly, Cloud 9 is the name of a PU (polyurathene foam) underlay made by a company called Ball and Young (who I understand(?)effectively "invented" this type of underlay)
The original was sold in 7mm, 9mm, and 11mm thickness)
It was very expensive compared with traditional rubber underlays, but quickly gained a reputation for being dam good underlay. The oil crisis has now made it a more cost effective purchase and it does seem to have superior performance.
In my opinion the current "cloud9" is pants! it is outperformed by rival manufacturers (including another Ball and Young product "Blue Heaven")

From your point of view most of the PU underlays are fine

Only you can choose your carpet

You do realise buying carpet from the net is fraught with potential difficulties... for example do you realise how physically big and heavy it will be?
shops are increasingly uncomfortable about letting their fitters "fit" a carpet purchased in this way either, - it may not fit, may be sub standard, etc

if you want a proper professional job, then you would be well advised to go to a reutable carpet retailer

I would also not recommend buying carpet of the net, however, I would and have bought underlay off the internet.

Interesting comment on Lymmranger's post regarding Cloud 9 being "pants" now. First time I've heard this.

I've also read that Blue Heaven isn't as good as Cloud 9.

Confused on the best type of PU underlay now!

I have found a carpet shop and the guy and his wife are really nice, prices good too.
Anyway the shop owner said that cloud 9 wasn't as good as it used to be and recommended hypergo (which he sells) but he did seem genuine.

Crumbs it must of gone downhill rapidly. I purchased some two years ago (last time).

Would be interest to know what's better now, I'll look hypergo up.

Thanks

Floorwise (hyper) underlays are fine - just go for it!

to DIYerHELP remember how big mars bars used to be? - nuff said!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back