Carpet and Underlay Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to order some underlay to go with a new Seattle Lavastone carpet in a bedroom. The carpet is 16mm Saxony pile with an Action Hessian backing.
  • Is Cloud 9 Cirrus 9mm thick underlay suitable? Tredaire has a similar spec but I can get the Cloud 9 cheaper.
  • Is it ok to lay the underlay in the same direction as the carpet? This would avoid a narrow 30cm strip.
I will use floor lining paper with the joints taped and then duct tape the joints in the underlay.

I am also going to staple the underlay to the wooden floorboards.
  • How often does the underlay need to be stapled? I’ve seen YouTube videos where it the underlay is stapled every 40 cm right across the room - while others just staple around the edges?
Apologies if these are basic questions but I want to get this right.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Ok thank you!

Can the underlay be laid in the same direction as the carpet or does it have to be at right angles?

Do I just staple the perimeter of the underlay or does it need fixing all over?

kind regards

Davey

Yes can go anyway. Tape up the joints.
staple every 18” or use carpet spray. It’s just to stop the underlay moving when fitting the carpet.
are you fitting the grippers as well ?

Sponsored Links
Thank you!

sorry - do you mean staple every 18” all over the room?

Was going to use the old grippers - is that ok?

kind regards

Davey

We don’t do every where just on the ends and sides and a few dotted in the middle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back