underlay for solid oak floor onto solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads on here about underlay for wooden floors, but I can't seem to find anything that answers my specific question.

I have a bitumen (solid) floor that is largely level, but has some undulations in it, particularly around the edges of the room, where it slopes up a little. If I put a straight edge over it, then there are hollows of around 2-3mm. I want to lay 18mm solid wood t&g floor on it, floating. I know that the bitumen is a dpm, but I intend to lay another dpm under the wood to be on the safe side - as there are also some cracks in the bitumen.

Obviously I want it to end up as solid feeling as possible and I'm worried about the undulations. So my question is, how much imperfection will the underlay take out? I've read that the thin, 2mm underlay is better with solid wood, but would say a 5mm underlay absorb the hollows better? Or could I use a 2mm underlay and double it up in the hollows?

I'm reluctant to go down the self leveling compound route as I've read that there are problems putting this on to bitumen and I'm also on a really tight budget.

Any advice much appreciated

K613

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back