Flooring Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of gutting a 1930's semi and putting it back together again. I have decided to go for solid wooden flooring in the hallway, but the sub-floor is solid with what appears to be a vinyl tile stuck down with bitumen (old shop which was converted back into residential in 1970's)

A number of the tiles have already lifted, leaving the bitumen exposed. I did intend on laying a flexible self levelling compound straight over this and then using a dpm 3mm underlay (on a roll) and then the flooring on top, however after reading a few other posts on here i'm not convinced that is the way to go.

Any advice on this would be most helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Sponsored Links
For one thing I would not opt for Solid boards in a hallway - too much risk of higher humidity etc. Go for a decent wood-engineered board.

You can level the floor, if you use a leveling compound that can tackle bitumen residue. The install a combi underlayment (containing a DPM) and install your wooden floor

Hi Andy,

What colour/ size are the tiles in your house? Are they deep or quite thin?

We have just lifted living room tiles in our 1950's house as these were cracking, with the intention of laying on 50mm polystyrene insulation and a hard floor. Our tiles were 9"x9"x1mm thick and dark coloured (brown/black/grey may also have beige streaks) - be careful as these contain a very high level of asbestos ~70% or more! :eek: If removing, use disposable overalls, masks, and find out about your local asbestos disposal sites from your local council. Lots of info online on how to remove & precautions. http://inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/Asbestos_Floor_Removal.htm

Another note of caution is that after removing we realised that the tiles were laid directly on sand! So we now need to tackle the floor level, DPM (it is likely that the bitumen adhesive was the DPM), which has held up our project while we figure out how to level this out.

So about levelling, I wonder whether you are better off removing only what is necessary/cracking and levelling the gaps between the tiles with a levelling compound such as Ardex NA, F.ball green bag or the like? If you have a sandy base like ours, you may need to verify with manufacturers if these will stick. On the other hand, a 1mm or so difference may as well be resolved by good underlay :)

Good luck!

They tiles don't have a very high level of asbestos in them. If they did you wouldn't be allowed to remove them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dazlight, may have had incorrect info off the internet :rolleyes:
I know that some types of vinyl asbestos flooring had very high levels of asbestos, but relieved to hear that the 9x9 tiles are at the low end :D

In most old vinyl tiles its a very small amount. You should still wet the floor open windows an try to take them up in one piece and double bag them.
Did a asbestos course in feb an it was worrying what has asbestos in.
Every artex on most ceilings.

Indeed! Found out about Artex after a week of sanding down popcorn ceilings and walls a couple of years ago (dry sanding, and with basic paper masks! ) - ah well! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back