UNDERLAY FOR STAIRS - CRUMB RUBBER OR WAFFLE ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone be so kind as to advise what the most suitable underlay is for stairs and hall?? (2 kids and dog use regularly)

ie. What are the benefits (if any) of crumb rubber over waffle type underlays or is the premium waffle type as good??

A leading carpet supplier quoted an extortionate amount to supply and fit new underlay, so I want to buy some myself before the carpet is fitted in 2 weeks time.

Many thanks :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Hi
We have just had some jumbo crumb underlay fitted in our extension and the sound suppression and resistance to denting is excellent which is what we wanted. However what you will not get is the bouncy type luxurious feeling that you will get with luxury waffle.

I would also add that decent underlay is expensive and possibly more so than the carpet you lay on top of it! Decent stuff should also outlast the carpet if you are laying a cheapish carpet like we did. Its a falsse economy to buy decent carpet and cheap underlay

Personally for stairs I would choose the crumb for longevity and noise suppression

Hi PE,

Thanks for your speedy reply, i just wasn't sure if the crumb rubber would be over the top!

But I will take your advice on board and dig deeper into my pocket for some decent underlay. Probably the crumb rubber.

What started out as "can't you just paint the hall it won't cost much!" from :evil: , has turned into many £'s. And she still expects a holiday this year :!:

Once again, thanks for bothering to reply. :p

Sponsored Links
dougalhouse said:
Hi PE,

Thanks for your speedy reply, i just wasn't sure if the crumb rubber would be over the top!

But I will take your advice on board and dig deeper into my pocket for some decent underlay. Probably the crumb rubber.

What started out as "can't you just paint the hall it won't cost much!" from :evil: , has turned into many £'s. And she still expects a holiday this year :!:

Once again, thanks for bothering to reply. :p

Welcome. This is where we got ours from - good service and good prices (sale still on aswell!) http://www.ukcarpetsdirect.com/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back