Underlay for Tongue and groove - glue or self-adhesive underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there
We are simple DIY'ers and we recently did our kitchen in laminate flooring and found the click system worked really well. We are now wanting to do the hallway. We are looking at Engineereed Wood, but it has tongue and groove, which I am new to.

For joining them together, what do you suggest? I see some people use glue, and yet I've seen some using sticky self adhesive flooring (like the link below, 4 mins in.)
Just curious what you all suggest?

Pros and cons?
Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’d say glue the joints of the T&G and lay on a decent normal underlay. We use Timbermate excel.
Not a fan of the sticky underlay as your wood can still gap on it.
As you are using engineered wood you are fine to float it.

Have used both methods without problems , the self adhesive underlay is very unforgiving of mistakes so takes care to lay but can be a lot faster once you get going.

Have used both methods without problems , the self adhesive underlay is very unforgiving of mistakes so takes care to lay but can be a lot faster once you get going.
Hi Foxhole,
could you elaborate as to why it's unforgiving, please? Thanks

The video makes it look not that difficult, but like most DIY things, i guess it can be?

Sponsored Links
If you place a board down and misalign the adhesive is very strong and removing it destroys the underlay , likewise if you reveal too much underlay you can’t feed the plastic sheeting back to recover situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back