Underlay - much of a muchness or get what you pay for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently redecorating then will be getting new carpet in the stairway, landing and bedroom.

The local carpetright sells almost as much varieties of underlay as they do carpet!

What's the advice when buying? Second cheapest? The stairs get a hammering from the kids, will that require different underlay from the bedroom?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
is it as simple as saying "the thicker the better?"

when I had carpets done, they put a sort of quilted-looking variety in most of the rooms, but a sort of foam crumb under the cheaper poly.

Why's that?

No, its not thicker is better.

Pretty much the best type of underlay for almost any situation will be natural felt, or a natural felt combination product. Something like Axminster Axfelt65 is simply excellent and should'nt cost more than £7m2. It's got great wear and appearance retention properties, copes with uneven floors well, it has a great supportive feel but is not too firm, it's also fantastically insulating from both a temperature and noise point of view.

The rubber waffle stuff and puFoam stuff is ok, the thicker it is, the softer and deeper it is so will feel bouncy but it wont support wear or appearance as well as natural felt.

Crumb rubber is excellent for wear and appearance but will have a firmer feel than rubber waffle or puFoam.

If you have underfloor heating you will need a specific underfloor heating underlay.

Sponsored Links
for a soft, deep, luxurious feel in a bedroom, what would you say?

and what for a stair carpet with more wear?

I like a soft, deep carpet in the bedroom ;)

Best buy a deep soft carpet then ;) under a deep saxony carpet, the underlay will make less of a difference to the carpet feel.

I've already got it, a nice soft cream 80/20 Wilton

Got my underlay from Screwfix if I remember correctly. Delivered within a couple of days, and bought enough for 3 rooms for the same price as one room at CarpetRight cost.

Carpet fitter was happy to staple it down for me, took him all of 2 minutes!

Definitely recommend gettting everything other than the carpet itself from anywhere but CarpetRight. Even got some carpet grip from Wilko's for about half the price of CR....

Got my underlay from Screwfix if I remember correctly. Delivered within a couple of days, and bought enough for 3 rooms for the same price as one room at CarpetRight cost.

Carpet fitter was happy to staple it down for me, took him all of 2 minutes!

Definitely recommend gettting everything other than the carpet itself from anywhere but CarpetRight. Even got some carpet grip from Wilko's for about half the price of CR....

Carpetright is one of the most expensive places for underlays and accessories, the carpets are'nt cheap for what you get either ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back