Undermount sink issue

Reaction score
Country
Canada
(In the interest of being on the same page, I'm in Canada. So some similiarities to the UK, some to the US with materials, etc)

Our undermount kitchen sink appears to be separating one one side ever so slightly from the quartz countertop. There's an angle there that wasn't visible before. We have no prior experience fixing this but we're pretty good with home repairs. How does this get fixed? Some kind of glue to hold it up again? Luckily whoever installed it set a beam of wood underneath the sink across the cabinet below the sink. But I can't imagine it will be very stable like that, plus the potential for leaking in the area that's come loose. There is no bracket or anything other than whatever the sealant/glue that is keeping the sink adhered to the quartz countertop.

Would love some help with this. Thank you!

Overall view under sink...
Wood Flooring Automotive exterior Gas Machine

Lying on the left pointing up... (so the top of this photo is effectively the left wall of the first photo)
Wood Paint Hardwood Flooring Ceiling

A view of the separated gap...
Fluid Wood Gas Composite material Automotive exterior

A video panning from the sealed portion on the right to the gap portion on the left... you'll have to go see it on my OneDrive, I don't know how to post video here.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Api-Y_uanSf-x41hUR5UWwWFUx5nsQ?e=GRp2uj

Sponsored Links
Repair brackets are available to create extra support but you probably also need to reseal the sink. Maybe a hybrid polymer for maximum adhesion. They look nice but are a pain when you need this repair.

Blup

I used a car jack to hold the basin in place while the sealant went off.

Blup

Sponsored Links
You could squirt in some silicon and then prop up the sink , replace timber with metal strapping (front and rear)which won’t moved like timber.
So you'd remove the bar of wood and just place those straps across the back and front of the underside of the sink? I don't think I understand.

Repair brackets are available to create extra support but you probably also need to reseal the sink. Maybe a hybrid polymer for maximum adhesion. They look nice but are a pain when you need this repair.

Blup
Repair brackets look like what, can you show me a link? Honestly, I can't stand anything in kitchens that is made to look great but complicates repair. And this apartment is full of stuff like that. Ridiculous shower design as well that I had to manually recaulk in its entirety despite supposedly being leakproof.

Not so long back, I fitted an under mount sink into quartz worktop, months on, there is no issues so far.

I used this type of thing:
Undermount sink brackets

And I used this to glue the brackets to underside of the worktop:
Araldite

Easy peasy.

Good luck.

So, I got these.
I can't detach the entire sink to clean the whoole underside of the counter and the top of the sink edge because there are pipes and an Insinkerator to contend with and I don't have the plumbing skill or tools to make that happen. What cleaning product and adhesive can I get in there to finish the job so I can close the gap and then seal it with silicone?

Morning

I'd get clean-up the surfaces to be joined with methylated spirits (if needed) then use a Hybrid Polymer type sealant adhesive.

Something like this (or whatever you can find local to you).
Fix all

Add a generous amount to sink/gap and when you tighten your brackets up, the excess adhesive will ouse out, you can then just tool it up nice and neat with a silicon spatula.

Good luck

Thank you so much everybody. Brackets installed, sink no longer hanging without support and everyone here contributed to helping me feel like it was doable. Much appreciated.

Morning

I'd get clean-up the surfaces to be joined with methylated spirits (if needed) then use a Hybrid Polymer type sealant adhesive.

Something like this (or whatever you can find local to you).
Fix all

Add a generous amount to sink/gap and when you tighten your brackets up, the excess adhesive will ouse out, you can then just tool it up nice and neat with a silicon spatula.

Good luck

The big advantage of MS polymers is that they will adhere to damp surfaces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back