Underpinning old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building an extension (I'm not a builder, but I've renovated a few houses and can do most things!), and want some advice on underpinning.

The project involves knocking down some of an existing single storey extension to the house, and building a 2 storey timber frame extension. It also involves knocking the second (really it's 1.5th) floor off of an original part of the house, retaining the ground floor.

The architect and SE have decided we can keep the existing floor slab + foundations, but will need to partially underpin with several 600mm square pads.

I've dug some of the pads under the modern concrete foundations, and don't see the need for any support etc (no movement or cracking).

However, I'm a bit concerned about the original walls, as they just corbel out by a brick width, and are then sitting on soil (clay). If I dig a 600mm wide hole underneath 100 year old brickwork, is it likely to stay in place? Or am I going to be saying goodbye to a section of the wall? This is a 9in solid wall if that makes any difference.

I also can't see the reason for needing the underpinning on this part of the extension - surely a half storey of brick that's being removed weighs more than the full storey timber frame that's replacing it. And the rest of the original house will still be sat on corbelled brick and soil!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back