Understanding Solar Panel Meter Readings

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me what these two readings are please? I want to understand how much electricity my panels are producing.

Attachments

• 20230814_105411.jpg
    20230814_105411.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230814_111523.jpg
    20230814_111523.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 44
It looks to me that the meter is saying it has exported 26.97kWh
(Register 010)

Presumably since the meter was installed, with a start export reading of zero. You might like to record the readings in a pocket diary, at least monthly.

I don't know your one, but mine shows a flashing red light when it is importing, and a steady green light when it is exporting

To know what your panels are producing, look at the display on the inverter.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you, so what is the 7905.23 reading, how many kwph are my panels producing surely not that number?

Thank you, so what is the 7905.23 reading,
That is the Total Import - how much electricity you have had to pay for. Presumably the meter was on zero when fitted.

how many kwh are my panels producing surely not that number?
kWh. kilowatt hours. I.e. 1 kW for an hour.

The other number is the Total export.

It is not possible to tell how much your panel has produced from that meter; it is just your usage.

To know what your panels are producing, look at the display on the inverter.

OK, seems interesting, so in theory the import number should match that of my electric meter as we are in a new build and they were both on zero when we moved in nearly 5 years ago?

OK, seems interesting, so in theory the import number should match that of my electric meter
That is your electricity meter.

as we are in a new build and they were both on zero when we moved in nearly 5 years ago?
7905 kWh / 5 / 365 /24 = 0.18 kWh per hour.

I.e. an average of 180 Watts all the time, or around 130 kWh per month.

It is not my electricity meter that is another device which is completely separate, this one is just attached to my solar panels and nothing els

If that meter is just for the solar panels then it's telling you the panels have generated 7905 kWh since installed. Please post the import/export readings from the main electricity meter in you home.

If you want real time solar generation readings you need something like this. You can use a smart phone to see current readings/weekly/monthly etc

It would be useful to know what kind of inverter you have. Does each solar panel have a small micro inverter attached to it? Or is there a large string inverter somewhere? The inverter may have the info you are looking for if it has a display or is wifi enabled.

Last edited:
That meter is your PV export meter and sits between your CU and inverter. The display will periodically swap between the import and export readings. The value at the lower left corner of the display (000 or 010) tells you which value is displayed at that moment. The import value displayed is the total power generated by the panels up to that time. The export value displayed is the total power exported from he grid, essentially the power taken from the grid to power the inverter. The terms import and export can be confusing. There is no display available of the instantaneous power of either import or export at the meter. Depending on the inverter type, you may be able to obtain the instantaneous power directly at the inverter or by a rf link to an app. If you take a periodic reading of the import value, you may be able to calculate average power draw over the period, but that is of limited value as the instantaneous power will fluctuate with the light levels - think of clouds passing on a windy day. Simplistically, the power generated by the PV system will be subtracted from the power the house is drawing to reduce the load seen at the electric meter. Any excess generated power will be taken by the grid, with no benefit to you. That is why you may like to consider timing the use of power to coincide with sunny periods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back