Understanding Step Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Can someone help with this issue I have? I am building my conservatory and need to flash the roof with a step and cover flashing. I think I know what I am doing but something niggles my mind. Logic suggests that water will run down the flashing face to the angled return parts. It would then run down the angled edge to the corner that is on the course of brick below. Whats to stop the water simply going behind the flashing at this point? I attach a picture to show the path I imagine water will take (Mine is step and cover but this pic shows what I mean. Any help on understanding this or what I need to do to stop it happening appreciated.

J

Attachments

• flash.png
    flash.png
    531 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
I could type a load of blurb about most step flashings are not totally correct...... but wont... for now, google chimney trays, cavity trays etc

I already know about all that but in the example pic (and I no intention at all of using cavity trays to weaken the wall) they are not used and the steps are done with a single piece of lead even the soakers below would not stop ingress of water in the pic as it would run behind them too. Is it purely that the lead is close to the wall so very little gets past.

I have had the same thought myself but I have
never known it to be an issue.
That said in an area as sensitive as yours it would
be wise to use individual flashings.

Sponsored Links
Or you could do a cut parallel to your connie pitch and put in a straight flashing......no step joint worries that way (y)

I already know about all that but in the example pic (and I no intention at all of using cavity trays to weaken the wall) they are not used and the steps are done with a single piece of lead even the soakers below would not stop ingress of water in the pic as it would run behind them too. Is it purely that the lead is close to the wall so very little gets past.
Oh right ! now we know.
If you know this then what are you actually needing to know.

And as Catlad quite rightly says no trays = gamble

Trays, pick up moisture within brickwork and will also pick up moisture that has passed poor flashings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back