Uneven concrete floor slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, and it is proving to be both very interesting and a fountain of knowledge, thanks to the regulars for keeping it all going and to the posters for the interesting content.

I am renovating a cottage, and have had a replacement solid floor put in the original part of the house, 100mm of hardcore, 100mm of concrete. The house has been recently extended and the extension has the same floor makeup, however, the level is slightly lower in the new extension.

I plan on using a liquid screed throughout both rooms.

As there will be a new doorway from the original house room into the extension, and I am running flooring straight through I need the finished floors to be eventually level.

The structural engineer has specified 100mm of insulation throughout, which of course I could add too to make up the difference in height. What is the minimum insulation thickness for a concrete floor?

The main problem is that the extension floor is uneven as well. it slopes from 65mm down to 85mm lower than the existing part of the house.

In my head I have a couple of options, however I am inexperienced in this area:

A: Bump the insulation up in the extension to compensate as close as I can, and then have a screed in at a thickness that will make up the difference.

B: Sort out the level of the slab before the insulation goes down.

What would be the best plan of action for remedying this?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

RD24

Sponsored Links
Its a pretty common issue. Adjust your insulation thickness to get as close as poss, then the screed to take up the difference. Its why screed is used.

Our screeders use a laser level to set the floor level, they can get the whole floor within about 3 or 4mm.

If you hsve lots of cables, pipes etc running across floor, do the insulation in 2 layers.

Its a pretty common issue. Adjust your insulation thickness to get as close as poss, then the screed to take up the difference. Its why screed is used.

Our screeders use a laser level to set the floor level, they can get the whole floor within about 3 or 4mm.

If you hsve lots of cables, pipes etc running across floor, do the insulation in 2 layers.

Hi Notch,

Thanks for the reply. I am going to get a laser level on the case :)

Cheers,
RD24

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back