Uneven house, way to compensate by leveling floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is a dumb question but have looked around and cannot find a answer for my issue.

Have brought a 100 year old house and when walking around the place there is a definite lean to one side. We had a surveyor check over the property and they said that there had been movement in the past so is not a problem now.

The lean is quite bad though, you feel like your drunk when walking through the dining room!

Is there a way to compensate for this lean by raising the floorboards slightly on one side of the house?

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same problem in a similar aged house. The house is empty at the moment so this may not be suitable for you but this is what I am doing (ground floor kitchen approx 4mx5m)

1. Lift the original floorboards exposing the joists

2. Bolt new joists to the originals whilst adjusting to correct the slope. This is about 10 - 15cm along one wall. The new joists are the stock size from Jewson and I am using heavy duty coach bolts every 600mm approx.

3. Lay 18mm plywood sheets onto newly level surface. Screwing down at appropriate centres and filling holes with wood filler.

This seems to be the best solution to me without having to remove the old joists and all the hassle that that would mean. The plywood should be a good surface on which to lay the final floor finish. Going to put a marmolium or rubber floor down but you could really put anything down - hardwood flooring, tiles etc etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back