UNEXPECTED WIRING TO CEILING LIGHT:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling mounted light which has the red and black wires from a single T&E cable into its connector block (which is not what I expected!). Would I be correct in assuming this must be from the switch, and somewhere along the way the red (or black?) wire has been tapped into a live feed? In any event, I wish to replace this light with several downlights, so should I not worry but simply extend on from this cable? Also, in this situation is a junction box needed at the first downlight, or is a click connector adequate here and at subsequent downlights?

Regards.

Sponsored Links
If there really are only two wires into the ceiling rose then it's likely the red is live and the black neutral. You will need to measure this using a suitable meter to confirm this. Is there also an earth connection?

If you only have one cable at the light, you either have your neutrals looped at the switch, or there's a junction box somewhere. If you check behind the switch it should be immediately obvious. If its looped at the switch, there'll be 2 or three lots of cables there (assuming a single switch) and if it's a junction box, there'll likely only be one cable.

You can use click flows if you want, but a decent downlight should be able to take 2x1.0mm/1.5mm and thus negate the need to use any form of JB

Just to add, does the switch which turns this lamp on and off also turn another or other lamps on and off as well?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the info. Sorry, my mistake, the earth wire IS also connected to the block. Also, the switch is 2-gang - the second switch is for an adjacent room, the other only turns on the light in question (so the live feed could be off this second switch as lggifer suggested? - I'll check). If not, I would hope it's via a junction box and not some lash-up. My main concern is should I be worried by this arrangement? I've been here 15 years and there's been no problems - so I'm thinking not? I assume I can check live/switch return with a multimeter (and power on).

Thanks for all the info. Sorry, the earth wire IS connected to the block. The switch is 2-gang and the second switch is to an adjacent room, the other switch only turns on the light in question (so the live feed could be here as Iggifer suggested? - I'll check). My main concern is should I be worried by this arrangement? - I've lived here 15 years without any problems so I'm thinking not? Presumably I can check live/switch return wires with a multimeter (and power on)?
PS I haven't been on this site for a couple of years - am I thick, it's not obvious to me how I give "thanks" to you all??!

I'm reading elsewhere that people are getting peed off with downlights - my fault for being behind the times! But at least I'm thinking LEDs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back