Universal Beam - Install and jack up floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a SE report done on a property I'm about to purchase. Not too phased with the report as I had suspected some work needs doing.

A 1920's solid wall detached house with a distorted door frame on a 1st floor bedroom. Basically the door frame has dropped approx 50mm on one side. The report shows this solid wall has been built off a floor joist (running parallel to the wall) with no supporting wall underneath, which it states is typical of the age. The report suggests a universal beam needs installing in the ceiling of the lounge below to prevent further movement. It also states that the wall above should be jacked up at time of install to remove the distortion of the door frame. All sounds rather simple!!!

Stated steel is 4.3m long to include bearing points (178x102x19).

How much would this likely cost for a pro to do? (Quick research shows steel coming in around £220ish)

How easy is it to do myself with a few handy friends? Where would the steel go in relation to the joist the wall is already resting on? Remove joist? Beam underneath? Is it something I should be warned off and get someone in for? I'm aware building control needs to be advised.

Thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
Job itself sound pretty straightforward - most of the work is usually in the making good. Jacking up existing isn't always a doddle though. Over the years gaps will have got filled with dust, grit, debris etc. so you end up trying to jack up parts that don't want to move.

I can see how the gaps could get filled with crap. How do yo do the jacking up?

Also, beam below the joist or remove the joist? Ideally want the beam hidden in the ceiling.

Beams can be within the floor void = more work better finish - service pipes/cables can be a problem? Otherwise below = easier to do but you end up with downstand beam. You just might not be able to jack it into the exact original position. You might need to compromise and get it as close as possible.

Sponsored Links
To be honest finish is no.1 priority so extra work isn't an issue. Can see what you are saying with services being a difficulty to overcome.

I doubt I'd want to go to the exact original position of the floor, might cause more problems. A few things spring to mind I'm not sure of the answer of. Firstly the wall above resting on a joist (or double joist). The weight of the wall has caused this to sag. It might have had a knock on effect on some of the neighbouring joists - hence why I'd probably not want to go all the way back up to original position. But, how do I get the RSJ in place? I mean, how do I get the original supporting joists out and the RSJ in without the whole lot being unsupported whist doing it?

What about the shape of the bedroom wall? If its solid, then it must have tipped over. If the door end of it has dropped why is there not a corresponding gap at the top of it and the outside wall? If you try to jack this wall back where will it go? Have you checked to see if the wall is carrying any roof load?
Frank

Here is an edited copy of the SE report - I have annotated in red some of my thoughts/concerns....

Attachments

• SE report edit.pdf
    402.1 KB · Views: 342
Wow, what a complex layout! I can see two more upstairs walls that are unsupported. Have you actually put a spirit level along the top and bottom of the "wall" to figure out how much it has pulled the ceiling down.
"Check existing beam", there should (is) a beam across the inside of your bay window to carry the weight of the wall above it and its roof load.
Knocking the breakfast and kitchen through will leave the bedroom 3/ bathroom wall unsupported even more then it is at present.
Frank

Not done the spirit level check as you have suggested - might be worth doing.

With regards to the wall knocking through, there is some confusion in room names. We intend to leave the kitchen as is and knock the so called dining room wall out to the rear living room. This wall is approx mid way below the bathroom. The SE states this wall supports nothing as it runs parallel to the joists. I do see however that bedroom 3 wall is also built off joists too, however no movement is visible there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back