Unsightly BT cable running down side of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous occupant of our house used BT, whereas we now get our telephone through cable.

Can we remove the black BT cable that runs down the side of our house? I know that we cannot cut it back to the telegraph pole - but will they known if we cut it near the connection pole on the roof?

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that the cable belongs to BT and as such you are not supposed to mess with it. You can do anything you like after the master socket, but not before. Phone BT and be ready to pay. But as you say how will they know!.

Main thing is whether or not they will detect if I sever the cable near the top of the house!

I think you will find that the cable belongs to BT and as such you are not supposed to mess with it. You can do anything you like after the master socket, but not before.
They own the cable up to and including the connection box they installed (just the same as the other services), that is where you should disconnect. Anything after that belongs to the household.

Sponsored Links
Just take off all the wire on the house, curl it up, get a ladder and just secure it up as high as you can, you will never know when you need it again....

Before you do anything, make sure it does not feed other houses!!

Last post is correct, you may may need it again, IF you get sick of cable and the BT master socket is still in tact it is free connection, IF not it is something stupid like £ 99.00 or so!

:)

You should find where the demarcation point is on your property. With sub-terranial cable it's usually the master socket (ie an NTE-5) like on this page:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/howpst.htm

Might be different from a telegraph pole I guess but I can't see why. Anyway, I really wouldn't touch it if it's in front of the demarcation point. This belongs to BT and not only could you find yourself footing the bill for any repair work you cause but it is illegal to tamper with it and that could theoretically render you liable to prosecution.

However extensions are sometimes run outside the house and maybe that's all your cable is.

Also, at some point you'll probably get fed up with your cable provider and want to go back to BT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back