Unused BT line, can I move it/remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am with virgin but have a BT line as I used to be with them. It's quite unsightly the way it comes in by the front door and along the hall and into the kitchen. The kitchen is also an awful place for the router as it doesnt reach the whole house. Ideally it would come in the bedroom like the new virgin one.

If in the future I or the people renting want BT Id like to not get the charge for setting up a new line

Can cut the cable at the junction box by the kitchen (pictured) and coil it all up and hide it by the front door? Or can I cut it back right to where it comes in the front door?

Or even better can I re route it where it runs on the outside of my house, into the bedroom and leave the cable end there for possible future use?

Or will they charge the full setup price whatever I do if they have to add even the socket at the end?

Any advice would be great

Attachments

• 20201216_122128.jpg
    20201216_122128.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
They will charge more, if they have to come into the house and it will be a pain.

Best its to reroute it to a bedroom. (ideally near a power socket), fit a metal single back box, and fit the existing master socket there.

Note all the current wiring colours so you get the A and B terminals the correct way round

They will charge more, if they have to come into the house and it will be a pain.

Best its to reroute it to a bedroom. (ideally near a power socket), fit a metal single back box, and fit the existing master socket there.

Note all the current wiring colours so you get the A and B terminals the correct way round

Thanks, the wire that comes in the house is solid black and green, then changed to orange and striped orange, then at a junction box changes again to blue and striped blue. Any idea why? It's all the same cable right? Just different colours

I was thinking of re routing it from outside into the bedroom. But then I don't need any of the extra internal cables as it's much closer. So I guess I can wire the current black and green cables into the master socket directly?

Also there is this box outside which is ziptied closed, I have no idea what's in it, but I'm guess it's important and needs to be kept? (Pictured)
20201216_133559(0).jpg

Thanks again

It's likely that the Blue/White & White/Blue may have a fault on it along that part of the run so someone has used the Orange pair instead.

Are you served by a Pole or Underground?

Sponsored Links
It's likely that the Blue/White & White/Blue may have a fault on it along that part of the run so someone has used the Orange pair instead.

Are you served by a Pole or Underground?
Thanks, but the colours don't matter do they, as long as I have the two wires the right way around?

It's served by a pole

Also, any ideas about the plastic box outsides I posted a photo of above

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would guess the master has been moved in the past and Openreach couldn't be arsed to run a fresh(longer) cable to the pole, so just made a join. They'd usually use a BT66b though, and actually screw it to the wall.

!

Well if it is just a joint I can get rid of it if I re route at as the new location is much closer

Hopefully it all goes to plan

Well if it is just a joint I can get rid of it if I re route at as the new location is much closer

It is the property of OpenReach and as such should not be interfered with.

Sometimes this type of box carries more than one phone line. If it is a junction box for two or more lines then interfering with it could disrupt your neighbour's phone service.

Sometimes this type of box carries more than one phone line. If it is a junction box for two or more lines then interfering with it could disrupt your neighbour's phone service.
I doubt that in this instance Bernard as there's only "one in" and "one out".

stricty speaking all the cable up to the first master socket is the responsibility of Open reach and if you tamper with it and get it wrong they will charge you

Yeah very True, though in my Experience some of their current crop of Engineers aren't particularly well trained and are contractors.

it could be a joint box carrying more than one line into the house though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back