Unused BT line, can I move it/remove it?

Crikey, I'm not sure you should ever contemplate any type of Stand Up routine :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
No Chance, look at the size of the Brick Mortar gaps. That's 4 or 5 pair at the most and if one is from a pole will have the outer cables for fixing it at both Pole and Property. Right to be cautious though.

Sponsored Links
BT or OR do not have a clue what you have in your property or where it is,looking at the state of what's there it's not new and the basic records that used to be kept are long since deemed to be out of date.

It's very simple really;
If you have a phone line in place with a master socket on the end of the cable then any future use of it SHOULD be a free installation even if BT/OR have to make a visit.

So open the black joint box, verify which wires are used in the cable from the pole, chop it and re-route to your preferred position and re mount the master socket there, reterminate the correct wires onto A & B terminals.

No one will be any the wiser.

For what it's worth; I usually take the dropwire [cable from the pole] straight up into the loft and mount the master socket in the loft, close to the hatch.

Thanks, but the colours don't matter do they, as long as I have the two wires the right way around?
There are colour code conventions and you should stick to them. Would you be as carefree about mains wiring colours, say black for earth, green for line and red for neutral at both ends as it still works?

There are colour code conventions and you should stick to them. Would you be as carefree about mains wiring colours, say black for earth, green for line and red for neutral at both ends as it still works?
Winston, several people have given excellent advice here, please don't confuse the issue.

Last edited:
BT or OR do not have a clue what you have in your property or where it is,looking at the state of what's there it's not new and the basic records that used to be kept are long since deemed to be out of date.

It's very simple really;
If you have a phone line in place with a master socket on the end of the cable then any future use of it SHOULD be a free installation even if BT/OR have to make a visit.

So open the black joint box, verify which wires are used in the cable from the pole, chop it and re-route to your preferred position and re mount the master socket there, reterminate the correct wires onto A & B terminals.

No one will be any the wiser.

For what it's worth; I usually take the dropwire [cable from the pole] straight up into the loft and mount the master socket in the loft, close to the hatch.

Thanks, good advice. I'll do this. And I have taken photos of all the places where the wires are connected and change colours in junction boxes, so I should be able to get them the right way round. But if by any chance I make a mistake, can it cause any damage if they are the wrong way round? Its not power so I assume it will be fine?

I will route it into the middle bedroom as that makes most sense for the router to reach the whole house, and just put it right next to the virgin socket

But its not mains wiring is it, its two tiny cables carrying data, surely no risk? Also, if they have followed wiring conventions, they must be very odd because it changes twice along the line, and doesnt follow any obvious pattern

For what it's worth the 'convention' only describes the colours of pairs of wires. And possibly indicates which colour would be 'A' leg or 'B' leg. There is nothing to say which pair of a cable is the correct pair for a particular job per se.

As has already been indicated the join part way along the installation changes the colour of the pair used and the external drop wire has different coloured pairs to the internal cable anyway.

I'll never ever criticise anyone for taking 'before' pictures, I do it myself all the time and in situations where there is no need to but I've been so very grateful of being able to put things back where the were etc etc so many times and additionally I've proved damage existed before I started work. Basically in this case I'd simply make sure I know which colours are in use in what will be the cable terminated in the master socket and rip the rest out. I believe you've already indicated it's the green/black pair in the black cable and all wou'd need to do is verify that doesn't change in that black junction box, that's all you need to know, and to be honest it makes no difference which of those two colours goes on the 'A' & 'B' terminals in the socket.

Last edited:
But if by any chance I make a mistake, can it cause any damage if they are the wrong way round? Its not power so I assume it will be fine?

Phone lines can be 48 volts which is more than a tingle. It could be dangerous if you were up a ladder at the time and not expecting it.

Your greatest risk is that you screw up somehow and have to get BT to come and fix it and they charge you a “fine” for messing with their wiring (and you have no internet over Xmas). It’s a small risk but it should encourage you to pay attention.

He’s not using this line at present.

Try and get A and B the correct way round. It does make a difference to older phones.

Thanks everyone for the advice, its been very helpful. Now I just need a sunny day to do it ;)

He’s not using this line at present.

Try and get A and B the correct way round. It does make a difference to older phones.
It shouldn't make any difference as the polarity of the line does alter during the call. But in any case OP is not using the line so it is a moot point.

My suggestion is if you don't want the internal cabling to be seen just chop the cable back to where it comes in the house presently, and reterminate. Before removing the existing wiring check for dial tone - some properties (should be all but not always) have a dial tone that allows a limited number of numbers to be dialed (999/112 & usually BT sales!).
Don't try to be helpful by relocating it where you think others would like it as everyone has a different opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back