"Untidy" extension roof appearance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our extension has now been completed. However, I am not entirely happy with the way roof tiling is looking around the velux windows. The tiles are "kicking up", particularly around the velux window on the left.

Apart from the aesthetic concerns, I am worried that this "untidy" appearance can make roof more prone to leaking.

I raised my concern with the builder who says that nothing can be done as flashing kit from velux prevents tiles from laying flat. If this is the case, then I don't understand why the tiles around the central and the velux on the right look better. I am thinking about asking him to get a proper roofer to look at this.

Roof pitch 15.5 degrees, Velux EDW flashing kits, Redland Grovebury roof tiles.

I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
There is a certain amount of kick-up to be expected.

However, your tiles have been incorrectly fitted in any case.

There is an upright seem running down the length of the side flashings (about 50mm in from the side of the velux) up to which the tiles should be butted.

It is ok if the tile oversails this seam so long as the profile allows, but there should always be a minimum gap of 30mm from the side of the velux.

It looks as though your roofer has butted his tiles directly up against the velux edge regardless of whether the profile allows and i bet he has cut the foam off too.

Thank you.
How long would it take for a roofer to put this right and how much should this cost?

And why would you leave the rainwater pipe off the main roof running down the middle of your new extension, I be surprised if that doesn't become a problem at that pitch.

Sponsored Links
And why would you leave the rainwater pipe off the main roof running down the middle of your new extension, I be surprised if that doesn't become a problem at that pitch.

Yep I concur that down pipe will be trouble :eek: shouldn't take to long to sort out with a decent roofer a couple of hours max ;)

How would you re-route the downpipe from the roof above? Where would it go? The downpipe from the extension is on the right and goes into the soakaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back