Unused chimney + Damp problems advice please

vis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate has bought a middle terraced house. He has a shared chimney. The house was empty for over six months at least. The chimney breast in the kitchen has been removed and a steel put up, but there is a big damp problem in the top corner on his walls and on the board where the steel has been boxed in. The chimney pot for the upstairs bedroom has been covered over with a flag but no airbrick on the chimney or vent in the bedroom. The chimney pot for the kitchen is open. The felt looks like it has been re-newed fairly recently and there is no daylight coming through in the loft.
The gutter is going to be replaced as is all pointing on the back wall.
My plan is to take the unused kitchen chimney pot off, flag over put in two airbricks at the top of the stack for each pot and a vent in the bedroom. Is this the right idea or do i have to put a cap on the unused kitchen chimney pot ?
Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back