unused header tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I cant seem to find my answers anywhere :(

I live in a top flat and I have 4 haeader tanks in my loft two of which I am sure are no longer in use (dirty manky with mouldy residue on surface). The ones Im sure are in use look clean.

Can you please tell me how firstly I can test these to make doubley sure they are no longer in use? How easy they are to disconected (step by step) and get rid off (needing the extra storage space and they seem to take up allot of needed space). Also If I am to hire a plumber in how much should I expect to spend.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
The two unused tanks are still full of water ? ignore herts drainage nobody gonna work that cheap :D

Sponsored Links
I would think that the tanks are joined together but plumb in wrong.

The feed should be at one end and the outlets at the other, otherwise you will get stagnant water. EG no flow.

Andy

No, although if the tanks are there no longer being used (ie they have combi boilers) then they are taking up valuable room and if they leak im snookered :(....Ive had the flat for 10 years and not one person from the council has visited

Just because they have combi's does not mean they are redundant. They may feed the toilets or bathroom basins with cold water.

even though they have scum etc on the water? I thought thast would show that it wasnt in use? how could I check to see if they were in use? and how much do you rekon roughly they would cost to be removed?

here in the south (uk) normally you are a leaseholder in this type of property and if the loft is not on your deeds it remains the freeholders property.

it could be your property,i do not know but if it is the freeholders property they will have insurance for damage caused from the loft.

the law could be different in your region,i hope so and i wish you the best of luck.

Jbegg, do you live in a factored building? If factored or council managed then as part of the management of the building infrastructure, they should be the ones that should deal with this for you. Unless your deeds cover the attic space, as skoda mentions, this is communal space and unfortunately you have no rights over it for storage. It could also be considered a fire hazard depending on what was stored.
If not factored/managed then it would need to be a process of elimination with co-operation of the other flat owners/tennents to find out if the tanks are still used for anything, though given their condition it doesn't sound likely but you never know. If it's an old tenement then they were mostly used to feed the old hot water immersion tanks in each property as everything else was normally fed from the rising mains that led to the attic. There should be seperate feed pipes from the tanks with their own isolation, and depending on the number of pipes and where they drop through the attic floor would give a general indication of how many flats and what position (side of the building), each flat usually had it's own feed. If they are found to be no longer used then at least getting them emptied would be the first step IMO

as said above you may have access to the area but dosen't necessarily make it yours
also the space the tanks are in may also belong to the tank owner again not your space to make use off
you need to check your lease and as said check with the lease holder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back