Unusual Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a victorian house solid walls, when we moved in 12 years ago had walls treated for damp and rendered with a water proof sealer in the render, have now noticed on one internal wall what looks like damp ( see photos ) but not sure as damp spots seem to be not joined together and don't feel damp at all to the touch, this also goes through to the other side of the wall, we had a book case against the wall so have now moved it. Could this be anything else other than damp? Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Damp 1.jpg
    Damp 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Damp 3.jpg
    Damp 3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 224
Sponsored Links
Most damp companies give about 25 years cover I would get them back first before doing anything.

is the floor solid?
is there or was there a chimney breast on either side of that wall?
was the wall rendered both sides?
if feasible, removing & examining the back of a length of skirting might tell you more?

its a faint possibility that due to the bookcase blocking ventilation its condensation?

Yes it's a solid wall
No chimney breast on the wall
Yes it was rendered on both sides
Because it's in spots and not all of it is joined and dosen't feel wet at all, not sure if it could be anything else.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
i know the wall is solid but what about the floors on either side of the wall?
you only show one side of the wall?
i can see what look like two screw heads - are you sure that you have render and not plasterboard?

it could be rising damp and/or salt chemicals but more info needed.

The floors either side are solid. It has definitely been rendered onto brick both sides with no plasterboard at all.
Any help will be much appreciated.

still no pics of the other side of the wall?
examining the back of skirting will often show fungal damage due to damp.

Victorian houses typically had suspended floors.
the odds are that with solid floors that were possibly historically laid to deal with damp issues you have rising damp.
if you want my suggestions for dealing with it come back on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back