unusual fault

I wish the picture was a little clearer - I hope I'm wrong in thinking that there might be some red wires going into the earth bar?

Do electricians have to be tested for colour-blindness?

I think you are right on the reds in the earth bar.

They do need to be tested for colour blindness on many formal training schemes but not all. In this case though it seems the problem is total blindness :LOL:

Sponsored Links
for goodness sake chaps.

yes the lad has made a mess of it, thats why I'm posting here.

but to say there are live's connected to earth is just as ridiculus as the chaps wiring because there would be know way anything would work.

the lad has used a thick red wire cable instead of the green to earth it.

right now I feel like pulling it apart myself and sorting it out properly.

as a physicist I know enough about electrical principles but not the regulations and are seeking another profesional repair. just bare in mind I have paid money to have this work done albeit a year or so ago and it does not make for a nice read when folk are choosing to trash.

after the feedback thus far I have pretty much made my mind up to have it removed and installed again with lives red, neutrals black and earths accordingly. all protected under RCD and not certain ring mains.

thanks to the helpers

but to say there are live's connected to earth is just as ridiculus as the chaps wiring because there would be know way anything would work.

I think you will find what was said was "reds connected to earth bar"

Not live's

Sponsored Links

Which should encourage you to consider what else "the lad" did which might make the installation less than safe and certainly not compliant with wiring regulations. This is not simply a case of incorrect wiring colours. This installation may be dangerous. If you consider that red's used for circuit protective conductors is not very important then I strongly suggest you do not attempt any repairs or rewire, physicist or not.

where have I condoned any of this wiring?

forget it.

my first forum experience lived up to my expectations.

admitedly not all posters,

later, I had fuse board replaced with circuit brekaer trips and rcd.
By whom?

Who was this "lad"?

Could you post a scan or photo of the schedule of test results and the Building Regulations completion certificate?

You do have a schedule of test results etc, don't you?

yes the lad has made a mess of it
You can say that again.

That's because he's a dangerous, ignorant and incompetent idiot.

You must report him to his scheme organiser and to Trading Standards - he needs to be stopped before he kills someone.

Where on earth did you find him?

seeking another profesional repair.
"Another"? To have "another" requires you to have had one in the first place.

just bare in mind I have paid money to have this work done albeit a year or so ago and it does not make for a nice read when folk are choosing to trash.
I#m sure it doesn't but you weren't the dangerous, ignorant and incompetent idiot who installed it - you were his victim, and his work is being trashed because it is trash.

my first forum experience lived up to my expectations.

admitedly not all posters,

The reaction to the picture is mostly a mixture of anger and genuine concern for the safety of your home and family. When professional electricians see an installation as badly installed as yours appears to be then there is often frustration that people are allowed to do such things.

It is still a puzzle about why there are black wires in the tops of the MCB as the bus bar feeding then does appear to come from the live "tail" via the main switch.

just bare in mind I have paid money to have this work done albeit a year or so ago and it does not make for a nice read when folk are choosing to trash.

What would you have us say? "what a great job" How would that help you?

Please see the writing on the wall here, your installation is potentially dangerous, it is absolutely not compliant and the person who did the installation (with your hard earned money) should be investigated by trading standards. It is not simply a case of incorrect coloured wires used.

It is your "electrician" who is coming under fire here not you. Having said that, you need to do something quickly about that mess. It is one of the worst I have ever seen (at least as far as I can tell from the picture. You also urgently need to stop that "lad" in his tracks now by reporting him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back