Unvented cylinder and 2 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a house with an unvented cylinder and associated 2 port valve. (Centerstore cylinder and honeywell 2 port).

The 2 port valve is on the indirect heating coil flow. I was hoping that the valve would close when the the thermostat for the indirect heating coil was reached but it looks like the valve is only wired into the emersion thermostat.

Can anyone tell me if this has been wired appropriately and if it is possible to use the two port valve to shut when the cylinder has reached temperature?

It looks as though the system is a Y plan as I can't find another two port to confirm an S plan. Truth be told, I'm having trouble understanding what's going on!!!

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Post photos of the wiring, valve and pipework please

If you have a Y plan, with a separate 3 port valve then that 2 port valve would be/should be fitted to the cylinder/high limit stat as a fail safe.

Can't confirm y plan as can't find a 3 port anywhere.

To be fair, my knowledge of heating systems is poor.

Here's a view of the wiring. The 2 port is the lead to the left and I think the emersion wiring to the right.

Sponsored Links
I'll take pics of the pipework later, none at the minute, sorry.

The wiring pics need to show where the cables come from and where they go to

You need to run through the system systematically. That does look like it's wired in through the immersion side and nothing returning through the high limit side connections from the orange SL. Looks like it's wired as a direct setup rather than an indirect. Need to know what energises the live on that. Is there a wiring centre and programmer etc?

You need to run through the system systematically. That does look like it's wired in through the immersion side and nothing returning through the high limit side connections from the orange SL. Looks like it's wired as a direct setup rather than an indirect. Need to know what energises the live on that. Is there a wiring centre and programmer etc?

There's nothing energising it as far as I can see. It only gets energised when the emersion heater gets power. There is a programmer but there doesn't look to be any connections with the hot water cylinder.

There's nothing energising it as far as I can see. It only gets energised when the emersion heater gets power. There is a programmer but there doesn't look to be any connections with the hot water cylinder.
That is because you arelikely to have a mid position valve, and the programmer and wiring centre control the valve which in turn controls the boiler, the 2 port you refer to is wired into the unvented coil and is a sfety device designed to close the valve via the over heat thermostat at the cylinder to stop it getting too hot

That's what I thought to start with @ianmcd but if you track the wiring back, it's all on the immersion heater side, so when that's live it's powering the immersion and the orange switched live to the OH stat C but nothing on the NO/NC.

I do agree it's must be a 3/mid port tho.

At least that's what it seems when looking at the unvented's MI. Looking at that the immersion power is the L and N on the right side of the block whereas the HL stat are the 3 reds on the left
https://www.wolseley.co.uk/wcsstore...i/on/CenterCB_DirectIndirect_Installation.pdf - Pg12

Edited for bad link

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back