unvented cylinder - basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

My plumber is installing an invented cylinder/boiler in my basement and we are having an issue with how to deal with the discharge / pressure relief water.

He has suggested using the pump house PH-5L-HW pump. However this over £500!

Are there any cheaper alternatives out there that you're aware of please? Either a cheaper pump or a cold water reserve tank and submersible pump?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The problem with your idea is that it is quite possible that the discharge from the TPRV could well be close to boiling point. And lots of it..

Also several thousand times the volume of the cylinder in super heated steam if things go properly wrong.

Either do the job properly, or not at all. Unvented cylinders need to be treated with respect.

The Pump House unit is going to be the cheapest alternative.

we are having an issue

In these circumstances usually translates as "we're too tight". Or "We've over stretched ourselves financially".

My favourite phrase is "champagne ideas, beer money".

"pressure relief valve" This suggests that the water and/or steam that comes out of the valve will have some pressure behind it. Is there any reason why this pressure could not be used to force the water and/or steam up a short vertical pipe to a level at which it can be safely discharged to a drain or suitable open space.

A small drain hole at the lowest point of the pipe would ensure the pipe was normally empty and thus remove the risk of frozen water blocking the pipe when the valve needed to release pressure from the cylinder.

In these circumstances usually translates as "we're too tight"

Or could also translate as "the plumber gave us bad advice"

Sponsored Links
Nope, the installer gave good advice... The relief pipe must always run in a downwards direction. If the OP doesn't want to pay for a pump, then the best solution is to put the cylinder where the relief can flow downwards to a drain. IE not in the basement.

Should you need to do any maintenance at a later, ie change immersion, date how are you going to drain it?

"pressure relief valve" This suggests that the water and/or steam that comes out of the valve will have some pressure behind it. Is there any reason why this pressure could not be used to force the water and/or steam up a short vertical pipe to a level at which it can be safely discharged to a drain or suitable open space.

A small drain hole at the lowest point of the pipe would ensure the pipe was normally empty and thus remove the risk of frozen water blocking the pipe when the valve needed to release pressure from the cylinder.

In these circumstances usually translates as "we're too tight"

Or could also translate as "the plumber gave us bad advice"

Give up with the alternate thinking. It is dangerous FFS.

You obviously have no clue of the forces that are involved. You need to dissipate the pressure i
immediately

Air Break?
D1 discharge pipe....

Have you actually read the requirements?

What if your magical little drain hole blocked?

Nope, the installer gave good advice...
He advised ( it seems ) to have an un-vented cylinder where an expensive pump was needed for when things went wrong. Good advice would have been to allow him to install it where it could be drained by gravity or to use a vented cylinder in the basement.

How would one test that the pump was in working condition and ensure was not going to fail to operate when needed. ? How would it deal with a dis-charge of super heated steam.

I also noticed in some MIs for un-vented cylinders that installation of un-vented cylinders is not recommended for locations ""where maintenance is likely to be neglected or safety devices tampered with""

Nowhere has the OP stated that the installer said that the cylinder should go in the basement... He has stated that the installer is fitting one in the basement, I fail to see how you can say that the installer has said it should go in the basement. If the installer has quoted to fit the cylinder in the basement, then he will have listed the pump in his price so I would suggest that the OP has seen the price of the pump and has decided to try to save money by having a bodge. The pump will be checked on the cylinders annual service.

Give up with the alternate thinking. It is dangerous FFS.
It is also dangerous to blindly follow the rule book in situations that the writer of the rules had not taken into account.

I prefer FSS for safety's sake......

The discharge pipe is the last line of defence. You haven't even read the bleeding rule book let alone understood it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back