unvented cylinder - basement

Sponsored Links
All very sad indeed. My condolences.

But the facts are - your plumber has given you the correct advise. Either cancel your project, or find the savings from somewhere else.

BTW - I had put the caveat of usually in there. ;) and the overstretched remark is also true... even if there is a reasonable reason for it.

You obviously have no clue of the forces that are involved. You need to dissipate the pressure i
immediately
I am not ignorant of the pressures involved nor am I ignorant of the dangers of pressurised and heated water. Many years ago I serviced plastics extruding equipment which used super heated water hot enough the melt the raw plastic granules and heat the extrusion nozzles. This water was under several bar pressure and heated by three phase immersion heaters.

Sponsored Links
I have to say I sometimes see unvented cylinders fitted in basements with the vent pipe just terminated 150 mm above the floor.

So is there any reason why the cylinder is being installed in the basement? Did you request this?

Why not look for an alternative position for the cylinder that will allow a natural drain for D1/D2?

As previously mentioned you will also have issues draining when maintenance is needed.

If you are looking to save money then you may have to make sacrifices on saving space on other floors, put the project on hold or look at other means of suppyling mains pressure DHW.

Jon

Maintenance is not really a problem as those who enjoy that type of work have a large bucket with a sump pump as we need that to drain cylinders for element changes when there is no way out of the property with a natural fall.

This is a common problem in so many flats.

Tonyu

Can't a large barrel be buried in floor of basement and a sump pump fitted? What about the condensation from boiler? Can the discharge and condensation go straight in barrel, barrel should be big enough and has alarm should the pump fail.

Daniel.

Danny, if you can find a sump pump that will not only cope with acidic water but also near boiling water, then rock on..

That also meets building regs.

Last few I've done were in basements..... Proper jobs, thousands of square feet. I dred to think what that lot cost. All rigged up to alarms and battery backup.

Your options are to consider putting a thermal store down there.

We are just doing such a job at the moment.

Or, if any of the cellar is above ground, consider an ACV Smartline, because the discharge is at the top. Just done one of them too.

IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_2833.JPG

Or if you have room, flow and pressure in the loft, or an opening near ceiling height for a discharge in the cellar, consider a horizontal unvented such a Gledhill Stainlesslite. Did one of these in a cellar conversion, around 18 months ago, in South London,
IMG_1749.JPG
with Evohome zoning. (Extra wiring belongs to client).

Coincidentally, there's another Evohome powered identical Gledhill horizontal cylinder we specified in a multimillion pound refurb in Richmond on Thames finishing next week.

Thanks very much Simon!

We have a vaillant ecotec plus 630 boiler and a fabdec excelsior 215l indirect unvented cylinder.

All of the basement is underground but at the ceiling height is slightly above ground. That is where the flue is vented. Maybe you can see from the attached picture. Please use your imagination as its a bit of a before and after job!

Does any of this information affect your advice please?

How much is a thermal store please? Do you have a preferred brand/model?

Thanks again

Ryan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 199
A lot more to supply and fit considering you already have a perfectly serviceable cylinder.

Your plumber has already given you the most cost effective advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back