Unvented cylinder that wasn't (exploded)

Sponsored Links
He got off lightly. If someone got hurt im sure the consequences would be much higher. Lucky boy.

£500? What a joke. Bet if he had G3 he'd have been fined worse though, typically. £500 is a mockery.

Sponsored Links
Pity the HPM article does not tell us what the exact cause was and who had to pay for the considerable damage to the house which could have easily been about £30k to reinstate.

It does.
The cause was vented tank had been sealed "tanks removed during loft conversion" and heated by old immersion obviously with a failed stat and no OH stat

I bet it cost significantly more than £30k if as they state parts had to be demolished

why didn't the pressure escape down the supply pipe?

And how does hot water start a fire?

What the mains supply?
Probably a water meter fitted with non return valve.

I think the mention of fire must be a misunderstanding by the reporter. Having heard the words explosion and boiler

"A fire had broken out in the house and the family were trying to escape in the dark as the power failed."

"Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, which is investigating the fire, said hose reels were used to put out the flames and the house was then made safe."

I wish the media reports wouldn't refer to him as a Plumber. No professional, time served craftsman would carry out work like that, leaving persons and property at extreme risk. That explosion was a result of someone missing a number of brain cells, and without the first clue about plumbing theory, masquerading as a professional.

I don't think most diyers would be so stupid to seal a vented cylinder. Let alone 'plumbers' (as they call him).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back