Unvented Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Revamping my bathroom & need to upgrade my hot water requirements.
Will be running 2 thermostatic showers & a large Jacuzzi type bath.
I was looking at getting a 300L cylinder installed, looking for peoples experiences with that size & demand also who is the better make of unvented cylinder.
Or should I go for a smaller one with a quicker warm up time??

All thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
It does depend on your heat source which will determine the speed of hot water heat recovery. Are you on natural gas?

Sponsored Links
Why are megaflow the best on the market?

Most expensive.... ? Certainly over priced.

They certainly aren't the cheapest. But you get a good warranty with them and good after sales. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. No matter what brand I would of said someone on here would come back with something negative towards that brand. That is why I stated in my personal opinion. I must have high standards! :cool:

Not being negative... realistic.

They have a decent warranty on the cylinder.

But most others are 25 years.

All only 2 years on non tank components.

Had a colleague with a megaflow that sprung a small leak from the base at 12 years old.

They wriggled out of the warranty (as I am sure all others would) because he couldn't prove it had been serviced annually.

Making the 25 and indeed 50 year thing rather pointless wouldn't you agree?

I agree Dan, however the warranty would of been valid if your colleague could proven servicing. Same goes for every other unvented cylinder due to the nature of what they are. G3 regs insist on regular servicing.

What brand would you recommend?

For high end stuff I use Oso (with variable pressure regulators).

For normal stuff whatever has a 25 year cylinder warranty and is not stupidly expensive.

Yes annual servicing would have kept the warranty in check. But how many unvented cylinders have you seen with a full service history?

Like I said though - any manufacturer would have used that as an excuse, not just Heatre.

What service would have stopped a weld being compromised or whatever else caused this leak, that is not very good after sales at all. Much depends on how you approach these companies however some are very frosty to start with.

What service would have stopped a weld being compromised or whatever else caused this leak, that is not very good after sales at all. Much depends on how you approach these companies however some are very frosty to start with.

Not likely the weld would of failed randomly after 12 years of use... More than likely corrosion damage. Seems more logical. And a service engineer would of more than likely replaced the sacrificial annodes, thus maintaining the corrosion. Had that of been carried out. Maybe.. just maybe.. who knows... Same goes for anything with a warranty. There are terms. Hark at me look, sound like I work for them. I do agree with your point though Dan. I for one carry out a G3 with any LSGC if there is an U/C. Only takes a couple of mins to wip round it and make sure its safe. But not everyone is so concerned about them I do fully agree

I have inspected inside a megaflo that was over ten years old from an extremely hard water area and the coil still had shiney metal apparent and yes no sacrificial anode.

So general concensus anything with a decent guarantee and servicing a must.
Saying that the Oso looks pretty good for a 250L works out £280 cheaper compared to Megaflo & takes slightly less room.
Whatever option I go for it will be coupled to a WB 37CDI.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back