Unvented drain down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to move a filter and do a little radiator work. I have an unvented system which also hjas a solar feed too - please see pictures.

I believe it is a 'S' plan set up? There are several taps installed which may help?

Now, when I drain down the radiators does that also drain down the unvented cylinder? I'm wondering about how much inhibitor will be required. Going to use Flomasta concentrated inhibited antifreeze. I have 16 rads. The cylinder is 210 litres so need to know if I have to take that into consideration? If not, I think 1.5 litres will work, if the cylinder does drain I will need more.

Also, I appear to have an F&E tank which is confusing as the system is unvented. Is this feeding the central heating side only which implies they are separate systems and I can then add the inhibitor to the F&E tank and the cylinder won't drain?

Thanks for any help!

Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 224
Sponsored Links
you seem to have an S plan open vent heating system with an unvented HW cylinder, not common but have seen some, you wont need to drain the cylinder to work on the heating system

Thanks Ian.

So:
  1. Tie off the ball cock
  2. Turn off heating at breaker/switch by boiler
  3. Do I need to manually open the CH valve in the S config so it drains?
  4. Will I need to use any of the taps to isolate the cylinder? I can follow the pipes so can identify what is what.
  5. Will only be working upstairs so attach hose to downstairs drain point and raise end to downstairs ceiling height (does that work?)
  6. Drain from downstairs drain point - opening bleed points on upstairs rads.
  7. Do work
  8. reverse above, add inhibitor before letting ball cock go.
  9. Bleed rads.

Thanks so much!

Yes you have got it all correct , but rather than tie up the ball cock have a look and see if there is a stop valve on the inlet and close that , much more secure, looks like a decent installation so would expect one to be there , make sure there is not crud in the bottom of the F&E tank as this will be drawn into the system when draining, if there is clean it out before draining

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian - can I just clarify points 3 and 4?

• Do I need to manually open the CH valve in the S config so it drains?
  • Will I need to use any of the taps to isolate the cylinder? I can follow the pipes so can identify what is what if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back