Unvented heater and system boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the current setup in the property we've just moved into.

• Two system boilers that work in tandem
    One OSO 330 unvented system boiler
    One water pump
    One Chanel Plus controller or both heating and water

We prefer to have the water heated by the system boiler. So I switched off the immersion heater. I know this cut out the lower immersion heater, not sure if it cut out the upper. Anyway, for the purpose of this issue, the Channel Plus timer for the water is off.

With the boiler on, I monitored the flow pipes to the water cylinder. The top pipe was hot up to the two port motorised valve. After the valve the water was cold. Adjusting the water tap temperature on the boiler made no difference. The motorised valve didn't open. I then noticed there was a manual override on the valve and once overridden, bingo! The boiler is heating the unvented heater.

I'm aware that is how its not supposed to work. There is power going to the motorised value which comes from a junction box. I've also just realised there's a cut out switch that may need to be reset. From the junction box, there are wires going to the boiler and the controller.

Can someone explain how I should be using the water cylinder to heat using the boiler only? In summer, when the boiler is off, I'll probably use the immersion heater (only if its cheaper than getting the boiler to do the work). Should I be doing it via the controller?

As a side question, should the water pump be working all the time? Even at night with no central heating and water demand its whirring away.

Sponsored Links
You should have a programmer for the boiler with central heating and hot water. With a cold hot water tank and the switch on the programmer on for hot water the 2 port valve should open and the hot water from the boiler circulate around the tank.

If this isn't happening there is a wiring fault or the 2 port valve is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back