Combi versus unvented cylinder

The easiest solution is to replace with another heat only boiler. I usually fit those for about £1800.

Tony
Coincidentally, That price is very close to what my neighbour paid for a new heat only boiler and associated controls from a TV advertised company. Down near the south coast in Sussex.

Sponsored Links
No coincidence at all.

I mention the prices which a careful installer doing a good job would need to charge.

For example that is for using the brand leaders chemicals from Fernox or Sentinel. Not cheap own brands!

Love to see your face when you turn up with your £1800 install and find a keston with the concealed flue running the full length of the house, 30 year old rads/pipework and no controls fitted,needing a condense pump,wonder how far your £1800 would go then.

The price depends on what is required.

Based on normal situation of boiler with flue up to 1 m long and gravity condensate run my prices would usually be as stated and probably a bit less.

Does not cover replacement rads of course but does include simple room stat!

Sponsored Links
No, that price is for a typical installation of a heat only boiler and thermostat.

It does not cover any new rads, TRVs or other extra work apart from what is required to fit a good boiler properly.

So what your saying if I understand correctly is £1800 is a ballpark figure depending on a site survey, is that correct ?

It is a budgetary figure for a proper boiler installation that I can quote by telephone.

It would be confirmed if accepted by a site visit but as I ask a lot of questions first it would be rare to be any more.

Last edited:
The easiest solution is to replace with another heat only boiler. I usually fit those for about £1800.*

To convert to a combi needs a lot more work and is often about £2200.*
Tony
*depending on how old/dirty you system is
*depending on how many rads you have
*depending on how many trvs fitted
*depending on how the flue is run
*depending on a outlet for the condense being available
*depending if the controls are suitable
*depending on parking/bus route
*depending if gas run needs upgrading

If your going to advertise yourself at least be honest about it.

Of course prices can vary if there exceptional circumstances.

But when pricing I allow for whatever cleaning is required and for up to 3 m of upgraded gas supplies within my budgetary price.

But the reality is that its extremely rare that I would need to charge for anything extra.

But of course a big difference is that I don't waste my time, like most others, by running around and looking before giving a quotation.

Tony

Danny, I am sure that you are equally capable of making up a simple circuit to turn on the immersion heater when the sunlight reaches the level which will generate 3 kW.

A simple way would to buy a light operated switch on Ebay and use it to operate a 20 A contactor. Both can be bought for less than £20.

Giving typical prices of different options enables those who have less experience of costs to get an idea of what is involved.

They are usually people who will do installations far cheaper than I will. I don't set out to do cheap work or undercut others as I don't need to.

Tony

My understanding was that these crappy PV panels couldn't pump out enough to jag up a half decent inverter, so no chance of getting 13amps @230vac. Even with a 28C day with no cloud cover!!
These PV panels have got to be the biggest waste of British Tax payers money the Tree Huggers have ever dreamt up!!

My understanding was that these crappy PV panels couldn't pump out enough to jag up a half decent inverter, so no chance of getting 13amps @230vac. Even with a 28C day with no cloud cover!!

These PV panels have got to be the biggest waste of British Tax payers money the Tree Huggers have ever dreamt up!!

A full installation of 16 PV panels has a rated output of 4 kW.

It is therefore easily capable of supplying 3 kW on a fairly clear day. Mine certainly do!

BUT the Immersun style of device modulates the input into the immersion according to how much power is being produced by the panel.

But having a simple DIY device to turn on the immersion as soon as there is a good sunlight does not require an exact output from the panels as the grid will make up any difference if it turns on too early.

As I said before the technology is not by itself economically sustainable but those with them will make the most of using them to their best advantage.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back