Unvented Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
After some advice, Im not a qualified Plumber but very confidant in carrying out plumbing work having installed a complete Central Heating system in the past and other major works in the Bathroom.
Im looking at installing a Unvented Water Cylinder and very confidant in doing so. I have a Vented Central Heating system with a Boiler that has a overrun pump connected. I have seen on some layouts that a Automatic By Pass Valve (ABPV) is required on Boilers that have a overrun pump connected. Do i need to install a ABPV still if my system is vented.???
Im also looking at getting my system inspected by a qualified G3 installer once completed. Does any one know of any in the Essex area who would do this for me.

Sponsored Links
A confidant is someone who confides in someone.

Hopefully you will be confident at the installation of the unvented cylinder.

Unlike gas boilers, as far as I can see, it is possible for a a qualified person to inspect and notify an existing installation to Building Control even if they did not install it themselves.

BUT many would probably not want to take the risks which that would involve.

Experience shows that it can be very time consuming to deal with DIYer's installations. Suppose he comes to inspect it and find that the pipework or wiring does not comply? Then he has to return a second time for which he would often expect to be paid extra. I would charge £84 for the first visit.

With an "S" plan you need at auto bypass if there is a pump over run provided by your boiler.

Tony

Thanks Tony
will consider your advice.
Im pretty sure my existing system is a "Y" plan

You are demonstrating your lack of knowledge of unvented cylinder installations!

For safety reasons they have to be heated via a spring return two port valve ( as used on "S" plans ) !

Tony

Sponsored Links
You can fit them on y plans too tony, just put the 2 port after the 3 port.

Well yes, obviously I know that. In fact thats how the OP would probably connect it to his system.

But in that case like an "S" plan, they need an autobypass if there is a pump over run.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back