Unvented Hot Water Cylinder System -Cert questions & ins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like an unvented hot water cylinder installed, but even after lots of research I am unclear about how qualified the installer needs to be. Can any experienced plumbing/heating engineers answer these questions for me?

* I have an Oil Boiler, does that mean I need an OFTEC registered plumber to carry out the installation or just a G3 cert engineer?

* If they are G3 certified, do they still need to notify Building Control?

* If Building Control are involved, what do they do? Do they check the installation and provide some sort of certificate for me to keep?

I basically would like to know what steps to follow to find a relevantly qualified heating engineer/plumber and then what happens once I agree a price?

Lastly, if anyone is or knows a suitably qualified heating engineer/plumber to install an unvented cylinder on an oil boiler system Bristol/South of Bristol area through to Taunton (we live near Cheddar), then please do let me know.

Thanks v.much!!

Sponsored Links
Its called self certification.

If the installer is qualified then he is able to notify Building Control and in most cases they accept his notification although in theory they still have the right to look at it themselves.

They are meant to keep a record of the notification. But don't issue with any papers.

The installer completes the Benchmark Certificate for you. That's usually stuck on cylinders!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Thank you Tony. So, if he is G3 certified, I can't expect to see any Building Control paperwork then.

I guess I will have to check he has a G3 cert by asking to see it. With the unvented cylinder being installed above the kids bedrooms I can't risk having a dodgy install done.

Anyone recommend a G3 cert engineer to do this install who covers my area (BS26) - near Cheddar.

I have had one person quote and he said it didn't need to be serviced annually and this was for commercial installs only. Is he talking out his rear on this? I thought it could invalidate house insurance if not serviced annually.

Anyone in the know on this?

Thanks v.much

They do need checking every year. Although it is not an onerous task.

Safe to say you won't be asking him back. There are several good installers on this site. Manortim is one.

Hi, thanks again. Have made a note of his details.

This same guy has quoted based on my photo's only. He hasn't been to see the system yet but plans to within the next week or so.

I'm a little dubious as the quote seems very high too.

He is suggesting install of a Valliant Unistor 155ltr. Can anyone tell me their experience of Valliant Unvented cylinders - is this a good one?

I think this should be a fairly straight forward job for him. We are having the unvented cylinder sited in the same spot as the old vented one. It is on an outside wall with the boiler directly below it (external boiler).

I know it's hard having not seen the job yourself (neither has he yet!), but what would be a reasonable sort of quote to remove vented traditional cylinder (with small cold water storage - no tank in loft as Chalet Bungalow)? Just wondering if his quote is way off!

Thank again,

Jeanette

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back