Unvented cylinder installed but no G3 qualification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an unvented cylinder (and gas boiler) installed by a Gas Safe Register engineer. He later informed Gas Safe Register which issued me a gas certificate. But Gas Safe Register told me I should have a Building Regulation Certificate for unvented cylinder installation.

But the gas engineer did not arrange that unvented cylinder certificate for me.
I checked he has no G3 qualification.

Is this the reason he did not arrange that unvented cylinder certificate (via Gas Safe Register ) for me?

What would happen or what consequence will be if he is not G3 qualification?

Sponsored Links
As far as gas safe are concerned, it is only when an operative registers with them that they are un-vented qualified (G3/UVHW) will then they allow self certification through the GSR processes, it isn't automatic.

If they aren't registered through the GSR then they need to be registered with another recognised accreditation body to allow self certification. If they have neither then the certification must go through Building Control (BC) at your Local Authority(LA) and there will be a cost attached to that as they need to visit and sign off the install.

An Unvented HW cylinder (>15L) install is notifiable UK wide, if not it is classed as an illegal instal.

As far as consequences are concerned then nothing really unless the LA get involved and/or you raise it and report it.

That being said I would be more worried that the install is actual correctly performed and that it is safe. If it isn't installed correctly and the safety devices have been compromised/circumvented then it can be very dangerous and potentially explosive.

I'd be getting a qualified installer in, whether you report the person who installed it is up to you, I know what I would do.

Thank you for your detailed reply!
Yes, safety is most important! Since his installation, the underground pipe burst and resulted in heavy leak from the unvented cylinder!---No hot water and underground water emerged to the kitchen ground...
And upstairs bathroom tap broke which resulted in flooded in all my bathroom and celling!

When I asked him this should be caused by increased water pressure from the unvented cylinder, he said: no, unvented cylinder system does not increase pressure.
Only later when I showed him the proof that I researched online he confessed that the unvented cylinder system will increase water pressure and could make pipe burst.....

The gas engineer is GSR registered, but I cannot see he is G3 qualified and maybe because this, he did not arrange the unvented cylinder certificate to me (only boiler gas certificate).

I know what I would do---What would you do?

To get a qualified installer in?

Firstly, you need to get a (recommended) Unvented installer in to safety check the installation, if nothing else to at least put your mind at rest that the install is safe and can be used. If it hasn't been installed by a qualified installer then the warranty will most likely be invalid too. Only way to get it right and warrantied etc, unfortunately, is to have it re-installed by a qualified engineer.

An unvented cylinder will increase the water pressure as it is heating the water and the pressure can rise by expansion but there is a safety Expansion feature as part of all unvented cylinders to absorb that. There are at least another 2 safety features that allow for valves to open and release over pressure in a fault condition. If everything is installed correctly and they are serviced regularly then they are perfectly safe. If not then they can potentially be dangerous.

What would you do?

If he isn't qualified to install unvented cylinders then to do so is a criminal act. Only one real way to go in that case as far as I'm concerned, once it's been fixed and registered/warranty'd of course.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your detailed reply!
Yes, safety is most important! Since his installation, the underground pipe burst and resulted in heavy leak from the unvented cylinder!---No hot water and underground water emerged to the kitchen ground...
And upstairs bathroom tap broke which resulted in flooded in all my bathroom and celling!

When I asked him this should be caused by increased water pressure from the unvented cylinder, he said: no, unvented cylinder system does not increase pressure.
Only later when I showed him the proof that I researched online he confessed that the unvented cylinder system will increase water pressure and could make pipe burst.....

The gas engineer is GSR registered, but I cannot see he is G3 qualified and maybe because this, he did not arrange the unvented cylinder certificate to me (only boiler gas certificate).

I know what I would do---What would you do?

To get a qualified installer in?

Your unvented cylinder will NOT increase the pressure on your incoming water, there is a check valve on the inlet control multibloc to prevent backflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back