Registering Unvented Hot Water cylinder (electric)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with my conundrum.

I had an electric, unvented hot water cylinder installed last year and the product was registered with the manufacturer. The installer had G3 qualification, which I've checked on Gas Safe register.

Apparently though because the boiler is electric it cannot be registered via Gas Safe by the installer and therefore my Local Authority are saying that even though the installer has all the right qualifications and is on a competent person scheme (Gas Safe, with G3) I still have to request retrospective planning permission and have a site visit by the council.

This sounds mad, as we're all supposed to be moving away from gas. Surely there should be a more efficient process than this.

Sponsored Links
depending on manufacturer it can be registered through them if installer registers with their installer scheme

Thanks Gaz, it was registered with the manufacturer (Telford) and this included the G3 registration number of the installer, but they say they don't then register with LA and it's up to installer to do this. But my local authority have no system for the installer to register it with them and if it's not through Gas Safe (who can't register appliances that aren't gas) I have to get planning permission and a site inspection. All this to replace like for like using a competent person! Just mad.

Surely there should be a more efficient process than this.
There is - the installer uses a competent persons scheme that covers electric hot water cylinders. Not GasSafe.

As yours is already installed, the only option is to notify via building control.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Flameport, this info on Logic4Training seems to suggest the competent person can notify the LA directly. This is what is confusing me, why can't the competent person notify my LA?

What are the Rules for Notifying the Installation of a HW Cylinder?

We have received lots of questions about clarification on the rules around notifying the installation of a HW cylinder through GSR. We’ve clarified with GSR, and here’s what they’ve said:
  • If the installer has fitted a cylinder only in a house to an existing gas heat producing appliance that they did NOT fit, then they can notify the installation of the cylinder via GSR so long as they are registered to do so.
  • If the installer has fitted a cylinder only in a house where the heat producing appliance is supplied by a different fuel (electric, oil, biomass etc), then they cannot notify the installation of the cylinder via GSR even if they are registered with GSR. This would need to be notified directly to the LABC or through a different Competent Person Scheme.
  • If the installer has fitted a cylinder and a gas heat producing appliance, then they can notify the both the installation of the cylinder and the gas appliance via GSR so long as they are registered to do so.
So in summary, if it is a cylinder fitted to a gas appliance whether you fitted it or not, you can notify it via GSR. If the cylinder is not fitted to a gas appliance you cannot notify it via GSR and you will need to do ot directly with the LABC or another CPS.

If the cylinder is not fitted to a gas appliance you cannot notify it via GSR and you will need to do ot directly with the LABC or another CPS.
Yes. So building regs application or installer through another CPS, not Gas Safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back