Updating avg antivirus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am a bit of a computer dunce and am trying to update avg from 8.5 to the new version 9 (the free one). It is not working for me, it downloads but I can not install as it says that there is a problem. Should I uninstall avg 8.5 first? I had presumed that the 9 version would simply overide the 8.5 and remove it during the installation. Having looked around a bit on the internet it would seems that there are several other free antivirus programs,
are they all about the same or is there one that stands out that I would be better off with.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ive had the same problem, removing the old one dind make a difference, in the end I just used Avast! home instead.

I use avast on other machines anyway, and IMO is superior in many ways to AVG, AVG has missed a couple of infections before, now avast hasnt.

The first thing to do is get a fresh download of an Antivirus program that you want to use, and Save the download to your desktop. Do NOT run the installer yet.

There are a number of AV programs listed in my post that is stickied at the top of this forum, so take your pick.
Lots say that Avast is one of the best free ones, and I will not start an AV War.
I actually use the new Microsoft Security Essentials on both my Windows 7 computers and I don't get any problems.

Once you have decided which to use, get the download and save to desktop.

Then download the AVG Removal Tool. Get the correct one for your OS, either the 32 or 64 bit version. Save this to your Desktop too.

Then disconnect from the internet (switch off your router) and run the AVG Remover.
Once that has finished, install the new antivirus program that you downloaded.
Connect back to the internet and open the AV program and check for updates.

dave ;)

Sponsored Links
I had a few problems with downloads from avg site, used other sites for download without problem, there are even a few serials floating around for full kit. :evil:

Back