updating the existing 2 light switches in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before i started everything was working ok.I took out the 2 switches which both serve the same lights in the same room and replaced them with metal boxed ones.
I wired up the 2 switches but cannopt now get them to work the lights.
1 switch has a cable withjust the 3 wires , 1 to C which means circuit ,1 to L1 and 1 to L2 , all 3 go into the rear of the switch as before ,no probs.
The other dimmer switch has 2 cables each with 3 wires. 1 cables wires are connected as follows, 1 to ( back of switch into the Circuit connection ) one to earth and one to a plastic stop connecting to nowhere.
The other cables 3 wires are connected as follows, 1 to the same plastic stop and the other two into the rear of the switch L1 and L2.
The light bulbs work, and the circuit, when turned on and operating all other lights downstairs . What have i done wrong please.?

Sponsored Links
What you've probably done wrong is not to wire the new switches as per the old ones.

Photos would be useful - it's VERY worrying that in each case you talk about the cables having 3 wires, only list one of them as being connected to earth but do list some as having all 3 cores connected to switch terminals.

If these cables are twin & earth, and the earth cores are being used as live conductors then:

1) Have a takeaway tonight.
2) Call an electrician first thing in the morning - your lighting circuit could be a death trap. Don't add or touch any metal light switches or fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back