Upgrade power supply with substation on site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies this strays away from DIY but I know some of your know your stuff about these things and I hope it would be of interest to people generally. My business is looking at a industrial property which has a substation on site (serving the property and two additional units). There is currently a 50kva feed. We will need minimum 150kva, something which I understand the property once had but was reduced many years ago.

I have contacted the network owner for an estimate of the upgrade cost. n the mean time, can anyone explain to me what is likely to be required to get the supply increased? I presume the existing cables would be in place from the substation to the factory, possibly even carrying the existing feed. I am just hoping for an overview so I can be more informed of the likely work required. I appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Assuming there is sufficient capacity available from the substation.

You will probably require a new supply cable and termination.
With that increase of load your metering will go from (probably) the existing type where the whole current is read by the meters to what is known as CT (current transformer) metering

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_transformer

Obviously the interior wiring will need an upgrade as well

Thanks Westie (apologies for delay in replying). Have asked the network provider to take a look but they confirmed the change in meter. Will be interesting learning about this

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If the supply was once larger, there is a chance the supply able is already sized for a larger capacity. It would then just be down to whether capacity exists in the substation, and a metering upgrade (if that was also downgraded).

Sometimes when a site relinquishes capacity, all the infrastructure remains, but the availability is removed from charges and fuses will be changed. The trouble is, if you relinquish the capacity, that means others can take it on from the substation with little cost, so you need to hope the substation has capacity, or you're going to pay towards its upgrade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back